Author Topic: William and Martha Morgan, LLANELLY  (Read 3251 times)

Offline welshbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Martha Morgan, LLANELLY
« on: Friday 13 January 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out about MARTHA MORGAN'S family. I know she was born in 1860 in Llanelli and married to William Morgan in 1881 ( having 14 children in total and lived at 36 ANN STREET in the 1900's) from info I have gathered from census's.

I am trying to find out about her parents - apart from getting a birth certificate for one of their children to try to find her maiden name, is there any other way I can establish this?

Any help and advice is welcome

Many thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William and Martha Morgan, LLANELLY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 12 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is this the right marriage - it's the only one in 1881 with a Martha on the same page but it was not in Carmarthen?

Marriages December qtr 1881

William Morgan     Merthyr Tydvil  11a 794   
Martha Ann Thomas 

EDIT
1881 shows him as John W Morgan but they were living in Glamorgan in 1891 and first child was b Glamorgan

However - the above marriage traces to a different couple on the 1891 who were living in Merthyr
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 12 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Possibility perhaps as  they were living in the Swansea registration district in 1891

Marriages December qtr 1880 

Martha Clarke   Swansea  11a 968   and on same page John William Morgan  Swansea  11a 968   

Have I got the right 1891 entry - 2 of their children were Taliesyn and Erasmus?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Marrtha Clarke was b Llanelly

1871 for Llanelly - all born Llanelly except Thomas

Thomas Clarke 62 b ?? Morston occ sawyer
Mary   50
Thomas   14
Martha  12
John William 10
RG10 Piece 5464 Folio 134 Page 18

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 12 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Welshbear

As you have got the 1901 Census and working my way back to 1851, I found the following:

1891 Census - William & Martha MORGANS (s on end) with 6 children at 2 Bigyn Lane, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
RG12  Piece 4494  Folio 96   Pg 7

1882 - their eldest son Thomas John MORGAN born March Qtr 1882 at Llanelli, Carmarthenshire    Vol 11a   Pg 751

1881 - Marriage of William MORGANS & Martha RICHARDS  Sep Qtr 1881 at Llanelli Carmarthenshire Vol 11a  Pg 953

1881 Census - Martha RICHARDS poss a servant with David Griffiths Grocer & Dealer at 22 Mount Pleasant Llanelli
RG11 Piece 5374  Folio 79  Pg 18

Martha's mother re-married and was shown as Hannah JONES (widow) and living with her in 1881 was Martha's full brother John RICHARDS and three half brothers at Tyrfran Cottages, Llanelly
RG11 Piece 5374  Folio 92 Pg 9

1871 Census - Martha RICHARDS was aged 11 and living with her step father (Thomas JONES) and mother (Hannah JONES).  Martha RICHARDS is shown as being a step daughter to the head of the family (as is John RICHARDS shown as step son and Anne RICHARDS step daughter).    They were living at Tyrfran Llanelly
RG10  Piece 5467   Folio 58  Pg 26

1861 Census - Martha RICHARDS aged 1 and living with her widowed mother Hannah RICHARDS along with Martha's 3 sisters & one brother.  They were living at Cwmddiche Fach,  Furnace,  Llanelly Carmarthenshire
RG09  Piece 4114  Folio 47  Pg 2

1851  Census - Thomas RICHARD (head) & Hannah RICHARD (wife) and Elizabeth RICHARD aged 6 months
living at Furnace, Llanelly       HO107   Piece 2468   Folio 311   Pg 52

On every Census all born Llanelli / Llanelly (both spellings are correct).  Sometimes the surnames were RICHARD / RICHARDS and  MORGAN / MORGANS.

I hope the above helps a little.

Regards,  Alltcafan :)
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline welshbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thank you both for your research  - I am particularly excited about the find of the 1881 Census with Martha and William living at Bigyn Lane with their 6 children as this rings so true and thank you also for confirming the first child's name as Thomas John since up until now I only knew him as TJ!

I am going to follow up both the background of Martha Clarke and Richards to see which is my great grandmother.

many thanks