Author Topic: James Totty Dalton, opera singer.  (Read 7651 times)

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Totty Dalton, opera singer.
« on: Sunday 15 January 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help?  My ancestor James Totty Dalton (Junior) 1846-1901 arrived in Canada from England circa 1874-79 He married his 2nd wife Sarah Harriet Holman (known as Sally) lead singer and star with the Holman English Opera company. James was a baritone.
I have all the BMDs, census records for England and most of those for Canada, plenty of info on the opera company and Sally Holman including a photo of her taken from a book by Henry James Morgan.

What I am hoping for is a 'photo' of James. Also playbills/bill board/posters or newspaper ads on which James is mentioned.

What year did he arrive in Canada?

It would be nice to know his place of burial and whether there is a marker.

What did he do after Sally died?

I am in the UK ...my tree is on Ancestry

Regards, Nigel

Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Totty Dalton, opera singer.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 12 22:36 GMT (UK) »
If you mention where in Canada ( It is bigger than you think) perhaps someone might see this or we could refer you to an archive where something might be found...

nevermind the marriage has him in Toronto http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/tor79p2.htm
But do you know where he died? Sarah was a big star in Montreal and Toronto, London & Ottawa, Ontario

ah, I see she died in 1888, and was here prior to 1877 http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=5586&&PHPSESSID=ychzfqkvzape
Other engagements included the opening of Gowan’s Opera House in Ottawa in February 1875 and the Canadian première of Gilbert and Sullivan’s H.M.S. Pinafore at the Royal Opera House in Toronto on 13 Feb. 1879. Sallie played the role of Josephine; Captain Corcoran was played by James T. Dalton, an English baritone who had joined the Holmans around 1877
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:10 GMT (UK) »
whoops..... sorry I had a senior moment..its past my bedtime..   ;D

Sorry about the lack of info ....Ive spent too many hours on this computer today, perhaps I was hoping that there are some clairvoyants on here  ;D

The opera troupe toured around the country but spent some time in Ontario.
and I have not recorded his death place except it was Canada and he died of heart attack, I may have found it trawling the internet?   ;)
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Well if he died in 1901 he was a vocal Teacher in London Ontario ( something to mention when looking for burials etc?)
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=18697&highlight=50
He does not state year of immigration, but he's English Church, CoE
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
The Ontario deaths database has a death for a James T. Dalton who died 1 Sep 1901 in London, Ontario. It indicates he was 55, born in England, a musician and a widower. His cause of death was listed as heart disease. No parents on listed on registrations from that time period.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks JJ and Jacquie  ;)  I also have his death as 1st of Sept 1901. I was just a bit lax in posting the details, too many hours at this computer

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I have found a number of write ups about the Holman Opera Company in the old newspapers,
(Google Newspapers) Still no sign of the illusive photo of Totty.

I suppose the Ontario Library is a place I should contact.

Many thanks to all who have helped,

Regards, Nigel

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You could try the London Ontario library.  Perhaps there was an obituary?   It may say where he is buried too...

http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/

I expect that by "Ontario Library", you mean the Archives of Ontario?? :)
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/index.aspx

You could also try the City of Toronto Archives.
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/

Or, the Library and Archives Canada
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html

RK

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi All.  Bit of an update!

James joined the 'Soldene English Comic opera company' for their second tour of the USA and arrived in New York 14th Nov 1876 with his wife Margaret who I thought was at this time deceased!
I think that James never returned to England but moved to Canada from the US. I believe his 1st wife died in either the USA or Canada 1876/77  Anyone help with details of this death? or James arrival date in Canada.

Regards Nigel