Author Topic: McKenna and Harkin  (Read 12547 times)

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenna and Harkin
« on: Friday 23 December 11 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I was directed to another post about Ardle McKenna which had been written a couple of years ago.  I found out what the poster had been after, the time and place of Ardle's death etc.

However, I am still none the wiser about Ardle's life before he moved to Scotland.

I believe that he was from Killyloughavoy in Errigal Trough, County Monaghan and that his parents were possibly James McKenna, a farmer, and Roseann McGarvie.

Can anyone tell me how to confirm that these are his parents?  Ardle was born around 1830-ish although records of his birth year vary.

Also, Ardle's wife, Elizabeth Harkins, who I also believe is from Monaghan.  Can anyone direct me towards any info on her? 

I would really appreciate any info and advice anyone can give me!

Cheers, Mo   :)
McKenna McCann Gallacher Kelly Denny Dunipace Falkirk Stirling Longriggend

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McKenna, Ardle and James, McGarvie, Roseann
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I dont have any specific connection but can help a little with the locations ....

the townland of Killyloughavoy is located in the civil parish of Errigal Trough. A previous post on this family mentioned that a descendant was RC... the RC parish for the area is also named Errigal Trough, but baptism and marriage records only go back to the mid 1830s - baptisms 1835, marriages 1837.

These are available in the National Archives on microfilm Pos. 5576

Church of Ireland baptism records for the parish go back to 1809, marriages to  1803. These are listed in records held by PRONI (Public Records Office of Northern Ireland) on film MIC1/125

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
http://www.truagh.ie/RC-Parish-Information    should have contact addresses...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 December 11 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Cheers, Shane, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I'm guessing Ardle McKenna was RC so there may be no records of his birth if it was around 1830-ish.  Will have to find his parents another way.  

From his young daughter's death certificate it looks like he couldn't read or write, so possibly his parents didn't either.  Not sure what that implies about how poor they were and if they had anything recorded such as if Ardle had any brothers or sisters.  Might be worth checking anyway if they did have a lot of kids and any of them were young enough to have their birth recorded by the Catholic church in Errigal Trough.

Thanks again - have a top Christmas  ;)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
1901 and 1911 census of ireland have Mckenna family still living at Killylough in 1901 18 and 19 Killylough then in 1911 no. 13, 9, 10, killylough.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

http://homepage.eircom.net/~plmckenna/plunkett-mckenna.htm

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark!!  I expect they're a bit busy just now but will contact them in the New Year.

Have a great Christmas  :)

Momo

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 December 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Smashing, thanks Rathmore.  This is a great help - I'm a novice with Irish records and didn't even know where to start.

Momo  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 December 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
1901 and 1911 census of ireland have Mckenna family still living at Killylough in 1901 18 and 19 Killylough then in 1911 no. 13, 9, 10, killylough.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

are you sure that's the same townland ?

there's a Killylough in Tedavnet civil parish, and a separate townland named Killyloughavoy in the civil parish of Errigal Trough... 

that Killylough on the 1901 return is in Tedavnet civil parish - see reverse of the form A.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 December 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
from Griffth's Valuation, a land taxation survey - property holders in Killyloughavoy in 1860. Several McKennas, including an Ardle -

Not sure if your Ardle had moved to Scotland by then - but maybe a relation of your McKennas ?  :

Killyloughavoy - 1860

townland of Killyloughavoy on the 1901 census : Killyloughavoy
No sign of any McKennas at that time, and no sign that I see of a listing for the townland on the 1911 census in that Electoral district (Derrygorry)..

Update : this reply on the other post about Ardle and Elizabeth states that their first child was born in Scotland in 1849 - so maybe the Ardle I mentioned above is a relation...

Shane
My Surname Interests