Author Topic: James Young  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Stephen Young

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Young
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your responses which I'm trying to get my head around. I'm in Australia and am fairly new to this so it may take a while for me to pick up the abbreviations. To answer some questions I don't have a death certificate for James and his wife Jean Dobie's parents were George Dobie and Jean Reid.

From the birth certificate I for James, born in 1781, that would have made 28 when he married, is that uncommon for this time. I have a record of Jean Dobie's birth as 31 May 1789.

Does that help anymore to narrow down the search for James actual birth?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen

As I said in one of my earlier postings, not all baptisms are still in existence and there are no birth certs until 1855.  I have my doubts about the 1781 baptism - the one that I found in 1785 is more likely as it's nearer the age that he gave on the 1841 (i.e. 50-54). However, there is no proof of either, apart from some indication in  the naming of his children.

As  he died at some time between 1841 and 1851, it might be that there is an entry in the kirk sessions minutes of the parish that he died in  or a mort cloth rental entry.  Sadly, we don't know when or where he died - they were in Duddingston in  1841 but in Dalkeith by 1851.

These records are not easily available online and it would mean someone going to Edinburgh or one of the major Registry Offices in Scotland to look through an index of them - but which parish would they look at  :-\

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Stephen Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Okay, I have a death record (5 Sep 1847 aged 60 at St Cuthberts) for James which lists his wife but not his parents. Looking at birth records for 1787+ or - 2 years there are several. Is there anywhere that may list the inscription on his gravestones?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that that is his burial?

If it is, you'd need to ask for an MI look up for St Cuthberts.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Stephen Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I assume MI is a monument inscription, who do I ask for that?

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look at MI's for St Cuthbert's and no James Young.  Entered "monumental inscriptions st cuthbert's churchyard" and the second entry was pdf Monumental Inscriptions.  This has a complete list with index at the back.  That James Young must be buried in another graveyard.  Just because he died in the parish of St Cuthbert's does not mean he was buried in that graveyard.

Jenny

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny  :)

The entry is a burial entry (pre 1855)  so he should have been buried there if it's in the St Cuthberts burial register.

From what you've said he must not have had a gravestone.

gnu

Link - http://waeve.co.uk/genealogy/sourcefiles/St.Cuthbert%27s_Cemetry.pdf

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Good point!  I wasn't joining the dots.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I think it's probably only the kirks sessions minutes/ mort cloth rental books that are left to search now and I don't see them online.

gnu