Author Topic: Hodges  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hodges
« on: Sunday 22 January 12 13:43 GMT (UK) »
An Alice Hodges married a William Brookes in Wellingborough Northamptonshire in 1741.  The marriage records say Clapwel Beds. (it is difficult to read). I am guessing it means Clophill Beds because through a certain family site there is a William and Alice there and their childrens names are familiar with the Hodges.  I am curious about the rest of Alices family so am asking if anybody can look to see if there are any Hodges in Clopwell about the same time.  Mainly a Richard Hodges for one because MAYBE  that could be where he ended up also. If there are Hodges there then it will be worth my while to look into it more, for example going to the record office etc. to look into it further to check for certain that there are definate connections.

CraftyP

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hodges
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all Beds baptisms and marriages pre 1813 have been extracted onto the IGI, and Clophill certainly has. So baptisms and marriages in Clophill are something you can check yourself on the IGI. There are no Hodges burials in Clophill though.

Alice Brooks wife of William, butcher, was buried at Clophill on 28 Feb 1761. In the 1754 and 1756 baptisms of their children William was also described as a butcher. William Brook, butcher, of Silsoe was buried at Clophill on 4 Mar 1775. Silsoe is next door to Clophill.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information of the family.

I have looked on the IGI and there doesn't seem to be any Hodges recorded for that time.

CraftyP

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 06:54 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't see any either, nor in the transcript
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline jewelsjillian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 November 14 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Could you please tell me which Richard Hodges you are looking for? Any info you have as my ancestors are Hodges in Befordshire.  Many thanks.

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello jewelsjillian
Sorry I have been a while answering but I have been busy. My Hodges start in Wellingborough Northamptonshire the late 1600s early 1700s.  I have often wondered if there has been a Hodges connection with Bedfordshire especially when Alice married William Brookes but have never found any proof. I do know that one of the Hodges ended up in Wimbledon owing to the fact he worked for the Spencers. There is no problem in that area of my tree.  I also know that a Richard Hodges of Bedford ended up in Northampton, whether there is any past connection there I have never found.   A Richard Hodges b1726 in Wellingborough disappears and I wondered that as his sister married a Bedfordshire man that maybe  Bedfordshire could be where he ends up. If you think there is any connection with you please let me know.

CraftyP

Offline jewelsjillian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craftyp,  Thank-you for replying.  I don't know when or where Richard born 1726 Wellingborough, Northamptonshire ended up but he and his wife Elizabeth are the parents of twins Richard & Stephen born 1760.  Some time ago I was in touch with the only 2 connections I know of (Patricia and Maggie) to that Richard Hodges being descendants of his brother Stephen born 1760..  The Richard Hodges from Bedford that ended up Northampton was my great grandfathers brother born 1832.  My great grandfather Henry also ended up in Northampton before migrating to New Zealand.  Richard & Henry's father Joseph had to sort out settlement in Bedford after he got married although Joseph was born there.  Joseph was the only one of his sibblings that remained in Bedford.  His father Richard died about the age of 70 in 1833.  Richard was married in Bedford in 1785.  I have spent the last 2 years trying to prove where Richard was born.  I have spoken with archives in Bedford on more than one occasion and they assure me that there is no record of him being born or christened in Bedfordshire.  The earliest record they have of Richard is his marriage 1785 and found that unusual and suggested that maybe he came from Northamptonshire.   Before getting in touch with Bedfordshire archives I had searched high and low for Richard's birth and by process of elimination of every Richard Hodges in England the only likely-hood I could come up with was Stephen Hodges twin brother Richard born 1760.  These twins are nephews of your Alice Hodges that married William Brookes.  My Richard Hodges that died about age 70 in 1833 Bedford was the father of twins, a boy & a girl, both twins dying as babies, just like Stephen born 1760 was the father of twins a boy & a girl with the girl dying as a baby.   Cheers.