Author Topic: James Glendinning in Dumfries (1790s)  (Read 4757 times)

Offline MatthewG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Glendinning in Dumfries (1790s)
« on: Wednesday 25 January 12 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Would be grateful for anyone with information on James Glendinning, a Dumfries merchant who married Mary Hunter of Troqueer in 1791, and fathered Thomas Glendinning (b. 1792) and William Glendinning (b. 1799). There were number of 'James Glendinnings' born in the Dumfries region between 1750 and 1771 - am trying to track down which one he was. Had hoped that details of his death might assist, but have found none. He may possibly have been in Demerara, where his eldest son spent many years.

Matthew

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Glendinning in Dumfries (1790s)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed your request. I found the name  Glendinning today whilst I was researching my family - Copland.  A family of Glendinnings appear to be living with William Copland in the 1841 census.  There is William, Agnes and John Copland along with Thomas 30 yrs., Mary 25 yrs., James 10 yrs, William 3 yrs., Jessie 2 yrs, Mary 1 month - all Glendinnings. Along with a Elizabeth Robertson 20 yrs. all living together at High Street Gas Works Close, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire. 
I don't know if this will help you or not.  Cheers

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
    I have a little booklet about marriages and deaths in Dumfriesshire, between 1775 - 1858.
These four entries appeared in three different newspapers.     I thought you just might be interested.     Each entry is only one sentence, but still these entries might mean something to you.

Entry 705.   Death, 1826, Dum Dum, Calcutta - James Glendinning, surgeon, eldest son of Thomas Glendinning, late merchant of Dumfries.

Entry  681.   Marriage, 1825, Dumfries.   D. McMeekan, Courier Office to Mary Glendinning, 2nd daughter of Thomas Glendinning, late merchant in Dumfries.

Entry 479.   Death, 1820.   Thomas Glendinning, mason.

Entry 627.   Marriage, 1824, Dumfries.    J. Glendinning, draper of Carlisle to Helen Anderson, eldest daughter of J.H.Anderson of Laggan.

That is all I could find.     

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi doddsie4,
Thanks for posting.  I wonder if you have any reference to the Copland family in Dumfries in that little booklet you mention between 1775 -1858?  I am researching the Copland family. e.g. William Copland 
Would appreciate any information you have. Thank you

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
        Very little.      No William Copland or William Couplands showing.     

Entry 1442.     Marriage 1856, All Saints Church, Thorp Arch - Rev George William Copland to Rosa Mary Menteath, elest daughter of the Rev F.H.Dtuart Menteath, vicar, and granddaughter of the late Sir Charles G Stuart Menteath of Closeburn Hall.

Entry 569.   Marriage, 1823.   Capt F. Dick of Liverpool to Miss Copland of Glencaple.

Entry 450.   Marriage, 13 Nov 1820.    W Drysdale, Writer to the signet to Mrs Copland of Dumfries.      [I think it should be Miss Copland in the book.     He wouldn't be marrying a Mrs Copland]

Oddly enough, you mentioned Demerara, and just above it is the entry of a death for 30th May 1820 at Demerara for a Robert Maxwell, merchant in Dumfries and son of Gordon Maxwell of Glenarm.     

Entry 90.   Marriage 1807-1808, Castle Douglas.   Dr Coupland of Dumfries to Miss Peaw of Dumfries.

Don't know why the booklet has the marriage dated that way.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Doddsie4,
Thanks for the quick reply.  At this stage I am not sure if any of the Coplands are my tree or not.  Will look into when I can.  Who knows there could be a vital bit of information there.  Thanks for posting it.  Much appreciated.