Author Topic: Missing street name, Miles Platting, Manchester  (Read 19063 times)

Online kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing street name, Miles Platting, Manchester
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 September 13 17:49 BST (UK) »
These maps are very interesting. I have families who lived in Pearson St and St.Augustine St. :)
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Fiona Szpara

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello, A friend shared the above thread with my mother. My mother is 90 years old and she was born and brought up at number 8 Malton Street, leaving the area when she was in her twenties. Her friend was also born and brought up in Malton Street, but is younger. Mum was able to draw a small map from memory, showing Malton Street, and Junction Street running parallel, and St Augustine Street running at rightangles from Junction Street to Malton Street. Her map also shows Lodge Street running from Junction Street (parallel to St Augustine Street) all the way down to Queens Road. She also remembered Barwick Street off Malton Street. Her handdrawn map from memory pretty well matched some of the official maps posted on this thread. However she was able to add more detail. She remembers Robinsons Grocery shop on the corner of Lodge Street and Malton Street, and Minnies Chip Shop further down on Lodge Street. Also Clowes Dairy (Nancy Clowes was one of her friends). She thinks that Albert Memorial on Queens Road was a church, not a school. She also remembers St Augustines Rectory and St Augustines Church, and the red rec. where everyone did their courting in those days! I asked why it was called the red rec and mum said because it was red! Red shale. She would be delighted to hear if anyone else recalls any of these places.  :)

Offline alanAF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 February 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I lived in sheridan st abingdon st was the street across the top joining lodge st.,, the albert was also a school it's not there now, we moved to Heywood and mini opened a chip shop there on the new Darnhill estate .I lived next door to her grandson John Clayton.I also went to St augustines and the Albert Memorial before we moved.

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
What makes this even more confusing is that at some time, some of the street names were changed.  Newburgh St became Ollerton St, etc. Why can't they leave things alone!  Thanks for all your help folks, it is very much appreciated.  I think this is going to be one of those searches! ;D

My Grandparents grew up in this area, I remember being told that streets with German sounding names (like Newburgh Street) had the names changed due to the war. I have a large scale map of the Ancoats area that I can check for you
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline dave hall 10

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 June 15 19:57 BST (UK) »
hi I'm doing research into my family and found that my great grandparents also lived at 20 Sheridan street, they lived there in 1915, john Henry wheater and Maud wheater nee Wildbure.

Offline alanAF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 June 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Sorry I can't help you on this, I was born there in August 1948 my sister 1952 , not sure how long mum and dad lived
 there before , loved that house so many happy times in that street , it was a end terrace on the corner of Abingdon st.my gran lived in Abingdon st my other gran round the corner in Lodge st. It was a two bedroom two up two down
but only one bedroom was fit to use so four of us in one room, no hot water and an outside toilet. Big black oven range in the other room (kitchen).whitewashed back yard.happy times.

Alan.

Offline StanC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 December 15 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello, A friend shared the above thread with my mother. My mother is 90 years old and she was born and brought up at number 8 Malton Street, leaving the area when she was in her twenties. Her friend was also born and brought up in Malton Street, but is younger. Mum was able to draw a small map from memory, showing Malton Street, and Junction Street running parallel, and St Augustine Street running at rightangles from Junction Street to Malton Street. Her map also shows Lodge Street running from Junction Street (parallel to St Augustine Street) all the way down to Queens Road. She also remembered Barwick Street off Malton Street. Her handdrawn map from memory pretty well matched some of the official maps posted on this thread. However she was able to add more detail. She remembers Robinsons Grocery shop on the corner of Lodge Street and Malton Street, and Minnies Chip Shop further down on Lodge Street. Also Clowes Dairy (Nancy Clowes was one of her friends). She thinks that Albert Memorial on Queens Road was a church, not a school. She also remembers St Augustines Rectory and St Augustines Church, and the red rec. where everyone did their courting in those days! I asked why it was called the red rec and mum said because it was red! Red shale. She would be delighted to hear if anyone else recalls any of these places.  :)

Hi

I've just come across this thread.
The Clowes Dairy in Miles Platting was owned by my grandfather John; he was married to Martha and they had 3 children: Arthur, Stan (my dad) and Audrey .
The dairy was sold either just before the war or during the early years because my grandfather died and they were unable to keep it going. The family then moved to Blackley.
Not sure who Nancy was, its not a name I've heard, maybe you could ask your mother if she remembers anyone else.

Regards

Offline alanAF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 31 December 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan.

The Albert had a junior school on Queens rd near the zebra crossing in front of collyhurst flats. In about 1962 they built a secondary modern school on the spare land near the Albert church up near the railway bridge, they took people from the local CofE schools St Augustines being one of them, it has since been knocked down now I don't know what they replaced it with, minni moved to Heywood with my parents she lived opposite us, they opened a chippy on the new estate, , tell your mum there is a very active face book page for miles platting it has some people who didn't leave the area people put on old photos of the area as it was in the 1940/50/60s good memories.

Alan.