Author Topic: COMPLETED: Kloof Hotel, Pietermaritzburg any photos anyone?  (Read 7936 times)

Offline EllenSmale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kloof Hotel, Pietermaritzburg any photos anyone?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - I was at the Archives this morning.  I checked the Braby's 1929 - 1932 for a Kloof hotel in Pietermaritzburg - Definitely nothing!

I have to just say that I was very pleasantly surprised by the assistance offered there - A young Black male helped us look up names on the computer, showed us which File number references were needed & then promised to phone us when the files arrived from their storehouse.  A tall Black lady helped me (I'm rather short!), to retrieve the Braby's/Almanacs from the top of the cupboards.  It really is a fascinating place - I could have stayed there all day!  2Harriet, sorry I couldn't solve your riddle.
Regards, Ellen

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 March 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone for your efforts - I will go back to drawing board.!!
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline kevingb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Harriet -
'Kloof Hotel' is (was ??) definately in Kloof . In the period 1960-75 it was owned and run by Geoff (Jeff) Slingsby - Smith . I am sure that both he and his wife (Di ??) have passed on . I was at school with their son David Slingsby - Smith . David emmigrated to Australia where he worked for a wine farm until his untimely death last year . As far as I know his wife and children are in Australia . Am sure if you google his name under Australian wines you will find some information on him .
Hope this helps .
Kevin
Baxter = South Africa , Kent (UK)
Smith = South Africa , London (UK)
Meier = South Africa , Germany/Prussia

Offline somersethouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 March 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is of any help but the hotel in Kloof was called the 'Fields Hotel' (but also known as the Kloof Hotel). It was situated at the top of Fields Hill and was a lovely old building. It was changed into a shopping centre some years ago - called the 'Fields Shopping Centre'...

I am not aware of a Kloof Hotel in Pietermaritzburg...

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED- Kloof Hotel, Pietermaritzburg any photos anyone?
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 April 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
Well thanks all-  I can now confirm that the Kloof Hotel was near Durban- confirmed by newfound cousin in SA. Congratulations to all who said it was not in Pietermaritburg. :) :D
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 12 04:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the reply - It has really been a puzzle to me as I know Pietermaritzburg pretty well and I live close to Kloof so it had me stumped. I walked into the Fields shopping centre on Friday and wondered if it was the Hotel you were referring to. Glad to that you found a cousin.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Slingsby-Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Kloof Hotel, Slingsby-Smith
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 May 16 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin, I hope this message finds you well. I found your post about Kloof Hotel and your reference to Geoffrey (Jeff) Slingsby-Smith. Geoffrey was my grandfather, David was my father. as your post says dad pasted away a few years back. i would love to know as much information about Geoffrey and the Kloof Hotel as possible. unfortunately i don't even know my grandfathers date of death. i have been trying to track down his death certificate for years because i want to obtain his WW2 RAF records. i look forward to hearing from you.

kind regards Chris Slingsby-Smith

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Kloof Hotel, Pietermaritzburg any photos anyone?
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 May 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,  After asking a few residents in the area I have established that Jeff owned/ran the Moorlands Private Hotel in Kloof  Kzn. He was known as 'Slingers' and if he liked someone he referred to him as 'an awfully good chap'. I don't know a great deal more yet but a local historian is also looking for details for me. Now I know it was the Moorlands Hotel I may find out more. Definitely was not Field's hotel as he was known to enjoy a few glasses of whatever in that establishment on occasion, and it would appear that any hotel in the area was called Kloof Hotel !  No details yet on Robert Johnston and which hotel he had an interest in but will pass on any information.
As luck would have it our local library has been closed this week for stock taking but will ask there next week for any historical info. You never know, there maybe something.
Also, look at 'Forces War Records.co.uk' for Jeff's war records.  After posting a query a couple of years ago they are still sending me advisories regarding a possible ancestor. Could be worth a try.
Hope this helps.

Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Kloof Hotel, Pietermaritzburg any photos anyone?
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 July 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I have just sent Kevin a message to let him know of your reply, there looks to be a problem with his email at the moment. I hope to see him back very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk