Author Topic: Arthur James Childs  (Read 5540 times)

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur James Childs
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if somebody could please help with info on my gr uncle his name was Arthur James Childs, born Bedford England in 1890, emmigrated to San Diego California, where he married Peggy, I dont know her maiden name or when they were married, she was a woman jockey and was the winner of the Coronado town Plate at Tijuana on Willow Bramble. I dont know when this would be, he died in 1938 in San Diego and the internment was at Greenwood memorial park, I dont know when Peggy died either, would appreciate it very much if any more info was on them
Regards Heather

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur James Childs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I found an article in the New Castle (Pennsylvania) News from 5 Jun. 1939 that says, "Peggy Childs, an American woman jockey who was widowed and left almost penniless a few months ago, is in England endeavoring to try her luck on the English turf.  You can't help but admire a woman with so much nerve, especially in such a nerve wracking sport.  During her career, she has broken her arms, legs, cracked her skull, and has been within inches of death.  Yet, she's sticking it out..."

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelly, I did't know that she came to England I have phoned family and they didn't know either, but it looks as if it is the same person, I know she had a daughter, but no name, he must have died young 48, I don't think he was that nice, I must try and find out what he did for a living
regards Heather

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelly, found out her daughters name was Zena, before Arthur went to San Diego he was a tailor to trade, and thats what he did in America, found out he had heart troubles and thats what he died of, I would still like to find out more about Peggy and Zena
Heather

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm not having any success finding any of these folks on passenger lists.

In an article in the San Mateo (California) Times from 8 May 1935, there is a reference to "Peggy Childs of Vancouver, B.C., who won a renewal of the Coronado Town Plate on Willow Bramble" who was going to ride in Burlingame, California.

Given that information, I would think she would turn up on a border crossing, but I don't see her.  Perhaps her given name wasn't Peggy?

There is an article from the Los Angeles Times that seems to refer to Peggy as English, but it's pay-per-view to see the full article:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0k1k/

I see references to Peggy Childs the jockey going back to 1929-1930, so I guess she must have married Arthur before then.

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have also come unstuck, I know in Scotland Peggy is short for Margaret, I have found a Margaret Ellen on the back of an old photo, with the dates that she was born 1879 and died 1970, I wonder if that could be her
thanks again Heather

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 12 21:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a Margaret (E.) Childs on the Social Security Death Index & California Death Index who fits those dates.  They both have her birth date as 3 Jan. 1879, and the Calif. death index says she was born in Ohio.  The death dates differ slightly - 3 Dec. 1970 on Calif. death index & 15 Dec. 1970 on the SSDI.  The Calif. death index says she died in San Diego.  Her last residence on the SSDI was San Diego with a zip code of 92111.  Her Social Security number was issued in California in 1963.

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelly thanks so much for info I am sure this is her, I have Arthurs memorial service and his interment which is Greenwood memorial park so i presume she will be interred with him,regards Heather

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 January 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome!

It looks like the cemetery has a contact form with a genealogy option:  http://www.greenwoodsandiego.com/dm20/en_US/locations/46/4615/common/about-us/contact-us.page?  Maybe they could give you some more information about who is buried with Arthur & if Margaret is there.