Author Topic: Anne GALBREAITH (nee LOWRY) and Esther GRAHAM (nee LOWRY) - are these sisters?  (Read 28016 times)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anne GALBREAITH (nee LOWRY) and Esther GRAHAM (nee LOWRY) - are these sisters?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 March 12 21:52 BST (UK) »

Anne Lowry
I am uncertain as to whether Anne fits into this family. Although she lived in Killyverry in the Parish of Rye (per http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bhilchey/MRaymoghy.html Raymochy and Rye are one and the same) at the time of her marriage I am unsure as to why she went to Londonderry to marry and why Moses was not a witness on the day.

Marriage Certificate details:

Marriage in:                   The registrar's offices in the city of Londonderry in the district of Letterkenny
When Married:               November 18th 1847
Groom:                          William Galbreaith - full age - bachelor - farmer - Ballyboe, Parish of Rye
Bride:                             Anne Lowry - full age - spinster - " - Killyverry, Parish of Rye
Father of Groom:            James Galbreaith - farmer
Father of Bride:               Moses Lowry - farmer
Witnesses:                      J Hott and Jane McNear

Hi just noticed the above, I think there maybe something wrong with this record as Letterkenny and Londonderry were 2 separate registration districts, the city of Londonderry was in the registration district of Londonderry not Letterkenny, see map below for registration districts

Ray was in the registration district of Letterkenny, perhaps the marriage took place in this district but was registered in Londonderry

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/image-files/registrardistrictsmapnorth2.jpg

Regards
Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anne GALBREAITH (nee LOWRY) and Esther GRAHAM (nee LOWRY) - are these sisters?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 March 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Joe, my mistake. The certificate does state "in the District of Londonderry". I will correct my previous post.
Researching:
Donegal - Black Ewing Gibson Hodge Latta Linchahan Lucas McClean Ramsy
Donegal/NZ/AU - Ash(e) Lowry Moore Thompson
Cork/Dublin - Deane Hobbs Jeffers Kingston Levis Shorten Swanton Wolfe

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: to Greatgran Graham re: William and Esther GRAHAM
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 March 12 01:29 BST (UK) »
I will be grateful if you can tell me anything about the source of the information on the tree you were given on William and Esther's family.  I am particularly interested in Esther who married "Mr. Hogg."  Esther was born in 1870 and I have nor further information on her.  However, I have a Jessie, born about the same time as Esther, who married Winfield HOGE.  Thank you.

Im sorry I have no idea who passed on this information.  I have found it in my mother's papers .  As far as I know this information came through the Graham  who was a great grandson of William Graham (1803).  I have never seen the tree before last week and have no idea who the writer was.  Esther (Hogg) is noted as the 5th of 7 children of William Graham (1803) and Esther Graham (1834).  There is no Jessie mentioned anywhere on the paper,  sorry.
Graham: Donegal Ireland, NSW Australia, Scotland
Eyles/Isles: Australia NSW,QLD, Vic;  England, Hampshire, Wiltshire,
Kent: England, Moulton Sussex; Australia, NSW, Qld; New Zealand;
McNamara: Ireland,  Australia NSW, Qld,
Coull/Cowell: Scotland Inverness; Australia Tasmania, NSW, Old, Vic

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 March 12 01:57 BST (UK) »
You may be interested in the notes on this page http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1911momeent.htm and contacting Robyn whose details are included on the page.

You might clarify, do you refer to two Isabella's in your post? Daughter of Esther Lowry and William Graham and daughter of James and Elizabeth Graham?

Dear "Irish Girl"
I was refering to two Isabella's as there are already seven children in the family of William Graham (1803-1873) and Esther Lowry (1834-1909). According to the tree I have they are William John (eldest son who received the farm in the 1850 Will) his six siblings, Francis (Fanny B.1862), Annie, Maria, Esther (Hogg), Lissie and Moses (1872-1959)  who married Mary Chambers (1876-1940).  If there was a a sibling named Isabella she was born three years earlier than Fanny  c.1858-9.  and the number of siblings of William John would then be 7 children listed in the will of William Graham who died in 1873, after the birth of his son Moses.  There is no information on who Lissie is? born between Esther and Moses.
The Isabella Graham that I have found died within the year that Fanny and Isabella arrived in Sydney and was the same age of Fanny,s companion Isabella.
All too confusing.   I will have to get Isabella's Death Ccertificate to unravel it  but the fact that there are seven children in William and Esther's family without Isabella makes one wonder if Isabelle was a cousin from Scotland.   

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 March 12 02:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry Irish Girl, I was mistakenly thinking that the Will of Moses Graham was the Will of William Graham,  father of both William John Graham and Fanny Graham.  This confusion comes from the story told to me by Fanny's children which included my grandmother.  The story has come down through the family that  Fanny and Isabella migrated as two young girls from Ireland (at 16 years and 19 years respectively) after the death of Fanny's father and subsequent 2nd marriage of her mother Ester Graham to Joseph Chambers.  The girls left England for Australia with ten gold sovereign sewn into the hems of their dresses.  This is a coincidence that the eldest son inherited the farm and the 6  children Moses Graham inherited 10 pound sterling (equal to ten gold sovereign) each from his Will. Does anyone know if William Graham's Will followed the same course as the Will of his father Moses (1850) with the eldest son inheriting the farm and the remaining children getting 'ten pound sterling each'.
I am getting more confused!

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 March 12 07:26 BST (UK) »
Number of children
I would appreciate anyone's oppinion as to whether I am correct in thinking that Moses Lowry's will indicates that he only had six children (see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/moseslowrywill.jpg)

Hi greatgran graham,

Just to clarify. The will I refer to above is that of Moses Lowry (d 1850) who I believe is the father of Esther Graham (nee Lowry).

Below are the only details I could find on PRONI on the will of Esther Lowry's 1st husband, William Graham.

Title :       Date of Death :    29 June 1873
Surname :    Graham    Date of Grant :    21 December 1898
Forename :    William    Reseal Date :   
Registry :    Londonderry    Effects :    Effects £999
No Image
Full Abstract :
Administration of the estate of William Graham late of Moneen County Donegal Farmer who died 29 June 1873 granted at Londonderry to Esther Chambers of Moneen Widow.

I have been unable to find the will of William Graham's father, Matthew Graham.
Researching:

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 March 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
Is there any way I can get to see the will that you have found from the death of William Graham?

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 March 12 08:25 BST (UK) »
The above is full extent of the information available at http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

You would need to contact the operators of the site to determine whether they hold any further information
Researching:

Offline paradise2431

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys I have been reading all your posts I think I know Irish girl 1987 Jennifer, I don't know Greatgran graham I hope you are from Sydney I am the Great Great Grand Daughter of Isabella Hansen (nee Graham) living at South West Rocks NSW. I am so excited to see that you all are nearly right about the tree I have finished all I can with the help of my 3rd Cousins 1 in Donegal Bernie and 1 in Ohio Jim we have together put all of them together and traced all the 9 children of William and Esther (nee Lowry Chambers) Graham I would love to exchange all info and I have certs of marriages and a photo of Fanny and the girls all from Bernie in Donegal and a photo of their graves in St Johnson. She has been a great help and she is still looking at Church parish's for us all weather permitting.
Looking forward to hearing form you ps Anne is Esther Lowry sister and Jane too
Robyn Hand
Goldsmith, Albert J Hailsham Sussex Eng
Stevens, Family Cirencester Eng
Hand, Family Monaghan Ire
Hand John Kempsey NSW Aus
Graham Isabella, Riverstone NSW Aus
Graham Family Momeen Donegal 
Lowry Donegal Ire
Hansen Karl, Norway Riverstone NSW Aus
Olsen Merte Norway
Conwell Amy, NSW Aus