Author Topic: McQuillan Termonfeckin - Complete  (Read 6642 times)

Offline lauraaz323

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McQuillan Termonfeckin - Complete
« on: Saturday 11 February 12 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I am looking for information about my great grandparents from Co Louth area. My grandmother was
Catherine McQuillan (May 1875 - Sep 1922). Her sister was Magaret McQuillan Pentony (1888 - 1971).  Other siblings
were Rose, Mary, Peter, Richard, and Francis. Margaret's daughter Anne (Nana) provided much info before her death
but we are still looking for any info on Catherine and Margaret's parents.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as well on dates for her siblings.
Laura

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan Termonfeckin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 12 09:17 GMT (UK) »
The place to start is with the marriages of Catherine and/or Margaret, as a cert would show their father's name and occupation.

Have you location any of the family on the 1901/1911 Irish census returns ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi...

I think that I may have found some information for you from www.rootsireland.ie regarding Mc Quillans in Co. Louth. So, I believe that I have found each of the births for the names that you have provided and I believe that I have found the parents of this children:

Francis Mc Quillan 1868
Mary Mc Quillan 1871
Catherine Mc Quillan 1873
James Mc Quillan 1875
Peter Mc Quillan 1877
Elizabeth Mc Quillan 1879.
Richard J Mc Quillan 1880
Rose A Mc Quillan 1883
Margaret Mc Quillan 1888

Through a bit of trial and error and relying on Irish naming conventions, I believe that the parents of these are Francis and Mary...I searched with the children's names first and then with the parents and the same dates matched for the parents when I searched. I also found two more children for them, which I put in above. All these births took place in Termonfeckin, Co. Louth. I believe that this is the family on the 1901 and 1911 Census of Ireland in Termonfeckin:

Mc Quillian household - 1901 and  McQuillian household - 1911

There is a marriage of a Francis Mc Quillan to a Mary in Termonfeckin in 1867..date ties before first child is born.

Really hope that all this helps you,

Annie

Moderator Note - links shrunk
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline lauraaz323

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Oh !
    Thank you so much! I have spent the last few hours going through some of the
databases and pretty much getting very confused.
Thanks again,
   Laura

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Some of those McQuillans went to England. Sandpit R.C. Church should have their records. The Pentonys attended school there.

If you go from Sandpit church then up the Galroostown Rd, go under railway bridge, travel about half a mile you will come to a small cross roads...turn right for where your McQuillans lived or left for Pentonys. Also, if you travel about another 400 yards you'll come to another laneway on right to another small cottage also owned by your McQuillans...also, if you go past Pentony's house (on their road) you'll also come to another pile of McQuillans but these are not related to yours...these are the 'Cartown McQuillans' related to Galroostown people but not yours!

Given where your McQuillans lived they could be buried either in Ballymackenny Church of Ireland or Termonfeckin C of I...(yes I know they were RC!)...My in laws actually rented a house from your kin when they had just married, first two kids born there! Was only in that house once.

Hopefully a local might be able to follow my directions and will be able to update you more......
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lauraaz323

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan Termonfeckin - Complete
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 12 17:50 GMT (UK) »
My Sisters have been over there several times and had
talked with Catherine's niece Nana Connor. She filled in so much info on the history
of the family. My mom and one of my aunts also corresponded with her for many
years while they were living. There are some great pictures of Nana, her mom and
some of the Pentonys on the Termonfeckin Historical Society's site.

Offline marycam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan Termonfeckin - Complete
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how the Pentonys, Rourkes, and Donnellys of Termonfeckin and Baltray were related in around 1900?  How was Margaret Rourke Sheils (1856-1907, originally from Baltray and later owned a bakery at James St Drogheda) related to sea captain Michael Donnelly and carpenter Michael Pentony?