Author Topic: Hodkins of Elmton/Barlborough, Derbyshire.  (Read 6985 times)

Offline Irispiral

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hodkins of Elmton/Barlborough, Derbyshire.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 06:48 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was James Hodkin, born to John in 1900. I am told he came to Canada when he was 16. He married Elizabeth Fisher from Glasgow, and they had five children. They lived in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Irispiral

What a lovely surprise to see your message this morning and thank you very much for posting.

My grandmother was Mary Ann Hodkin born 1876 the eldest of twelve children to John W Hodkin and Marian Littlewood, your great grandfather James being the youngest born as you say in 1900.  As a matter of interest my grandmother had her first son in January 1900 as her own mother was having her last son in 1900!!!

I find this information so very interesting.

I will send you a Personal Message with my contact details if you would like to be in touch with me.

Kind regards.
Derrygolagh (Liz)

Offline Irispiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
That sounds great, Liz. Thank you!

Offline andrew davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 February 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
derrygolagh sorry Miss read original post

Offline Retfordian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 November 15 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this post is still live but I can add another piece to your puzzle.

I am Edgar Allen and Annie Hodkin aged 8 on the 1901 census was my grandmother and quite a character in life.  I believe she to left home at quite an early age initially working in a fish and chip shop in Sheffield.  Following that she went into service for a lady who was a painter and who in fact spent some time in Australia with the aborigines learning how to mix paints from natural pigments.  It was at that time that she moved on to work for who would eventually become by grandfather Joseph Allen.  Annie became Joseph Allen and his wife Ann's domestic servant.

By 1911 Joseph Allen's first wife had died following a long illness in Sheffield and he moved with his eldest daughter (who was blind from birth) to Lincoln and Annie moved with them.  In September of 1912 Annie fell pregnant and she and Joseph Allen the father became married on the 29.04.1913.  He was 60 years of age and Annie was now 20.  On the 26.06.1913 my aunt Emma was born.  Annie went on to four children, Emma, my aunt Josephine born 12.09.16 my uncle Joseph born 16.12.18, and my father Edgar born 15.07.21.  Joseph Allen died 21.05.1927 and Annie died 2 days before my 21st birthday on the 19.03.1976.  Both are buried in Hayton Churchyard just outside of East Retford in Nottinghamshire.

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 November 15 19:13 GMT (UK) »

Retfordian

Thank you so much for posting the above information.  It is very helpful and informative and finishes a branch that I have been trying to tie up without success for some time.  I appreciate the information very much.

It appears that your grandmother Annie Hodkin and my grandmother Mary Ann Hodkin were sisters.

I will send you a Personal Message.

Kind regards and thank you once again.

Liz

I appreciate