Author Topic: MacDonald  (Read 6833 times)

Offline joemacd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacDonald
« on: Thursday 01 March 12 23:36 GMT (UK) »
My x3 grand parents James MacDonald and Jean Stewart were living in Stevenson 1815, He was a seaman in Saltcoats, I wonder if there is some way i can find out where they lived in Stevenson and perhaps when thy married.   Joe
Family names, MacDonald on my Grandfathers side, McDonald on my Grandmother's side, on my Mothers side her Maiden Name Janet Donald Maxwell, Maxwell, Weir, Scanlon, Donald, Ritchie, Smith, Sharp.

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MacDonald
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 12 22:03 GMT (UK) »
My x3 grand parents James MacDonald and Jean Stewart were living in Stevenson 1815, He was a seaman in Saltcoats, I wonder if there is some way i can find out where they lived in Stevenson and perhaps when thy married.   Joe

My best guess at a marriage for this couple would be the one at Ardrossan in 1804.

Pretty sure they are living at Windmill Street, Ardrossan in 1841 and 1851. You can view the transcritions at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl or the originals at SP. Looks like Jean(ie) died in 1872 at Ardrossan.

Age varies on census records but I think this is her in 1871 at Windmill St, Ardrossan as transcribed at Ancestry-

Jane Mcdonall   87 born Saltcoats
Ann Mcdonall   55 daughter
Wm Grier   14 grandson
Robt Reid   13 boarder

Where did you find the info that your couple were at Stevenson in 1815?

Offline joemacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother when came to visit from Canada 1959, she informed me that thy had lived there and that my g g grandfather David had married an Agnes Stevenson, it was there son Robert who married my grandmother also MacDonald Janet Cruikshank MacDonald, She was born in Dalmellington and moved back to Dalry, and was living there 1881 census

Joe
Family names, MacDonald on my Grandfathers side, McDonald on my Grandmother's side, on my Mothers side her Maiden Name Janet Donald Maxwell, Maxwell, Weir, Scanlon, Donald, Ritchie, Smith, Sharp.

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother when came to visit from Canada 1959, she informed me that thy had lived there and that my g g grandfather David had married an Agnes Stevenson, it was there son Robert who married my grandmother also MacDonald Janet Cruikshank MacDonald, She was born in Dalmellington and moved back to Dalry, and was living there 1881 census

Joe

Hello Joe,

I'm not quite sure how you linked James Mcdonald and Janet Stewart to your family from the info you've given.

A quick browse through the IGI and census records with the info you've given shows Robert McDonald and Janet Cruickshanks Mcdonald at Kilmaurs in 1871.

Robert Mcdonald   24 born Dalry
Janet Mcdonald   22
James Mcdonald   2
Agnes Mcdonald

I think this is Robert in 1861 at Dalry

James Mcdonald   36 born Dalry
Agnes Mcdonald   40 born Dalry
David Mcdonald   15
Robert Mcdonald   14
Jane C Mcdonald   5
James Mcdonald   9
John Mcdonald   2

His parents are James McDonald and Agnes Stevenson who married at Dalry in 1845. If you look at the 1841 census you will find James and Agnes in the same household  at Ashyfauld, Dalry.

To check this is the correct Robert you need to look at his marriage entry at SP.

It looks like James died at Dalry in 1886. A look at that record should give his parents names.

Offline joemacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 12 14:17 GMT (UK) »
cookies4

this is the right family Roberts wife was Janet Keirs, 1881 census was living North St Dalry, remarried David Luke after the death of Robert and moved to 228 the square Gartsherry Old Monklands.
never new of the addresses you have provided, Agnes born Dalry, James born Dalry, Janet Born Dalmellington, Robert born Dalmellington, David born Kilmaurs, youngest Sarah McNab born Dalry. 

Joe                                                    

Offline joemacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »

Robert McDonald and Janet Cruikshank's MacDonald at Kilmaurs in 1871.

Janet Cruikshanks MacDonald was my grandmother, her father was Robert and her mother Janet keirs, i have Roberts father James as born 27Th December 1814 Stevenson Ayr.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 12 15:41 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of children showing to James and Jean on IGI (maybe more on Scotlands People?). These entries show as actual extract on the IGI index:

1. Ann MCDONALD b. 25 Dec. 1812/ chr. 31 Dec. 1812 Stevenston, Ayr
2. James MCDONALD b. 27 Dec, 1814/ chr. 5 Jan. 1815 Stevenston, Ayr

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joemacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 March 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
  James MacDonald  born 27Th 1814 in Stevenson is my G G Grandfather. My grandmother was a MacDonald and my Grandfather was also a Macdonald a bath molder at Shanks Barrhead, His younger brother John Andrew Married my grandmothers younger sister Sarah and had four sons when Sarah died he remarried Elizabeth Leishman and had another son (*) who is still alive and lives in  Brisbane Australia.
The Four sons were David who lived in Kilsyth, Robert also went to Australia and served with Australian forces in the war, John who i know little of, and James who was a Major in the Royal Artillery and a prisoner of war under the Japanese, when the war ended as senior officer excepted the camp commanders sword as the sign of serender.

Joe

Added: Details of living people removed to protect people's privacy and identity as is part of RootsChat's rules.

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 March 12 17:12 GMT (UK) »

Robert McDonald and Janet Cruikshank's MacDonald at Kilmaurs in 1871.

Janet Cruikshanks MacDonald was my grandmother, her father was Robert and her mother Janet keirs, i have Roberts father James as born 27Th December 1814 Stevenson Ayr.

So what does Robert give for his parents names when he married and what was his address? I can't be 100% positive without proof but if I have the correct family then his father James was born around 1825 at Dalry.

Here is the family of James McDonald and Agnes Stevenson in 1851 at Dalry.

James Mcdonald   25 Ironstone Miner born Dalry
Agnes Mcdonald   28
David Mcdonald   5
Robert Mcdonald   4

Have you looked at the death entry of James at Dalry?