Author Topic: Seaforth Highlanders  (Read 9932 times)

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaforth Highlanders
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
There is the Seaforth Highlanders Regimental Museum.. they gave me information about a relative who was captured at At Valerie.
Also on the net is The Burma Star Association who have the Seaforth Highlanders 1st Battalion which includes a diary of Peter Torrance who fought in Burma... the diary of events starts 25 Feb 1942.
It does not answer your orinal question but may shed some light on what your late fil endured.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 April 12 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have just finished reading a book " The Mirror of MONTE CAVALLARA"

It is the Diary of Ray Ward of the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders.

On page 201 describing The landings in Sicily 10th July.  At 0245 assault troops of the 6th Seaforth Highlanders and the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers stormed the beach in front of us and stormed inland to occupy the village of Cassible.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 October 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi. My father served in the 1st Batallion of the Seaforth Highlanders. He went to Malaya 1946 probably from Fort George after training.  He served his two years and came back to Lanarkshire and met my mum. They married 1949. Trying to get his Service Record.  He played in a Band. He also spent time in a hospital out there after contacting Malaria. Any help would be appreciated in retrieving his record.  He died 40 years ago so sad only 48 years ago, but from his pictures out in the army he had a happy time with his mates :))

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 October 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
WW2 records are still with the MOD (despite what some websites tell you!).

You can apply here:
https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

There is normally a charge of £30, unless your mother applies.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 October 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
    Thankyou KGarrad for info.  I will look into it along with my mother  :)

Offline Serahbee92

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My father served in the 1st Batallion of the Seaforth Highlanders. He went to Malaya 1946 probably from Fort George after training.  He served his two years and came back to Lanarkshire and met my mum. They married 1949. Trying to get his Service Record.  He played in a Band. He also spent time in a hospital out there after contacting Malaria. Any help would be appreciated in retrieving his record.  He died 40 years ago so sad only 48 years ago, but from his pictures out in the army he had a happy time with his mates :))

Hiya! My grandad was in the 1st battalion then too! Do you have any photos of the battalion at all? I only have one of my papa in his uniform