Author Topic: Scott Family  (Read 10827 times)

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott Family
« on: Monday 05 March 12 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I have now managed to track down my elusive ancestors, the family was a Richard Scott, Married to a Bridget O'Kane, the children where a Thomas born 1847,Mary born circa 1853, Richard, not sure of the birth date, probably before the Thomas, and a Bridget.They where catholic. I now know that the family came from, Baslick, castleplunket, Roscommon, later settled in Liverpool. given this information,could you please advise of my next step, would there have been a local church, and if so would they still hold records that far back. I would be grateful for any advise.

Regards Daisy

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/roscommon/baslick.htm
It looks like Richard was listed on the Griffiths Valuation in Castleplunkett at that time

Also from paid site is the list of what they have available
http://roscommon.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources
It includes TULSK which is described as Ogulla and Baslick however records only start in 1865

The National Library holds microfilm of the records but they do not have Baslick listed, although they do list Tulsk and Ogulla
http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 12 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply, it looks as if the National library is my best chance of finding any further information that far back. I will keep a note of the links, if ever i get back to Ireland i will check it out.

Regards Daisy

Offline Mike14tp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi my Name is Michael *** living in the UK but our family were neighbours and very good friends of the Scott family. They lived in Mullygallon, castleplunket, Roscommon.

My Uncle and aunt ***** would be able to give you full information about young Richard scott who sadly died quite young. His father also Richard and his grandmother Nora who I remeber as a young boy.

My Grandfather who was 91 and died in 1976 was agreat friend of the Scotts and every evening would go over and spend an hour or so with them.

write to my Uncle **** who is now around 90 but has a first class brain and wonderful sense of humour and can tell you everything.

Best of luck

Michael

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 12 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, thank you so much for replying to my post. I have been trying to research the Scott family for so long now, and could only get so far back, as the records are difficult to access if you don't live in Ireland.Thank you for your offer of contact with your uncle, i would just like to make sure that we are talking about the right family before i bother him. The information i have is that family came from Castle Plunkett, i have listed the family on my previous posts, i can account for all of them living in Liverpool circa 1860s, apart from Richard who was born circa 1850s. The young Richard that you mentioned, is possibly a descendant of his, if you could give me a timescale for him, i might be able to narrow it down, also you say that your family would visit the Scott's, would this have been in Ireland or when they had settled in Liverpool.
Thanks once again for taking the time to contact me, it is much appreciated.

Regards Daisy

Offline Mike14tp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 August 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy

The family lived in the lane at the back of our family farm. Unfortnately I am not the person to give you too much information as I was born and brought up in the UK. My father who is 94 and also lives in the UK was born in Ireland on the farm near the Scott family. My Uncle who is now around 90 and has lived on the farm all his life and of course knew the Scotts very well. He could certainly answer many of your questions.

Richard Scott who inherited the farm from his family unfortunately died at a young age leaving a young family of 4 children behind. His wife was unable to carry on farming and sold up and they all moved away. I remember Richard's father Pat Scott when I was young and visited. He was agreat friend of our family. As I say the Grandmother's name was Nora but regretfully that's all the info I have. If you are sure your family came from castle Plunkett I can't see how it could be anyone else. If you look at the 1911 Census you will see that they were the only Scott family in the whole Castle Plunket area. Sorry I can't be any further help. My father remebers as aboy when they moved into the area but I am not sure where from.

I could let you have his telephone number but would need a little more info about you as he is quite fral now (although his very with it) to ensure that he is not bothered unnecessarily. I am sure you understand.
Best wishes

Michael

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 August 12 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again, i think we have the wrong family, allthough there are similarities. looking at the last post from you, you mentioned your father remembering the Scotts moving into the area, where as my Scotts lived in the area as far back as the Griffiths valuation (1848-1864) Also my Scotts came from Baslick, Castle Plunket, not knowing the geography of the area, i checked google maps, and Mullygolln is a different area of Castle plunket. That's not to say there isn't a connection somewhere with it being such a small area. The info i have on the family is dated around 1860s in Liverpool, and i think the family that your family knew, was of a more recent date, which is making it difficult to tie in at the moment. Thank you for your time and interest, it is very much appreciated. If i do manage to tie in the family, i will certainly let you know.

Regards
Daisy

Offline Mike14tp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 12 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy

I have been checking as well. The 1901 and 1911 Census clearly show that Mullygallan or Mullygollan (the name changed) and Lisheen the Townland of both the Egan;s and the Scott's is in the parish of Baslick.

There are no other Scott's listed in the castle Plunkett area. Unless you have the completely the wrong area. I must speak to my father about it because he says he remembers them moving in but he wasn't born until 1918. The census records show that the Scott's were definately there in 1901, 17 years before he was born. I will try and get more info. Scott is an unusual name for that part of Ireland? Don't know about the Liverpool connection apart from of course many, many Irish people who landed there after the famine in the 1840's.

Michael Egan

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, thank you once again for your interest, i will private message you with some more details.

Regards Daisy