Author Topic: Origin of Bitchenors of Kempston late 1600's  (Read 11492 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of Bitchenors of Kempston late 1600's
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 April 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
The wills will tell us.

Unfortunately not necessarily. Often if property was involved it was dealt with separately, and the will just dealt with the personal estate and how it should be distributed. If, as you assume, the land would have passed to the eldest son under the primogeniture rule, then there was no need to state that in the will - it would have been automatic.

But I think a husbandman was usually a tenant farmer ie he rented the land rather than owned it.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 April 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification in terms of owning rather than leasing land as in if it wasn't owned it wouldn't pass to the eldest son.

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 April 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
Joy,

That's really splendid. Looks like you may have cracked it. I know it was suggested on this thread to go after Robert because he had the less common name and your hunch for North Crawley would seem to be spot on! The fact that you can see back in time to more Roberts back to the late 1500's is terrific.

I talked to my cousin last night and I will post some information below she gave me. She's on vacation so I don't think she'll mind if I post. She did really systematic thorough research on our line about 5 years ago and was in touch with a woman who had your same ancestor. They hit a roadblock in actually establishing the brotherhood of William and Robert at the time, but with Robert and Ann Church having those children in 1695 and 1697 there's confirmation.

Also she reminded me that in her research William my ancestor, the son of William the tailor who had married Constance Houghton had a son, another William who married an Elizabeth Ingram. Sound familiar? (Further back it looks as if an Ann Bitchenor who was mentioned recently (can't remember the variation on spelling) married a Thomas Ingram back in 1689 so it looks like a familiar family connection.) Then in 1866 an Abraham Bitchenor who is the son of another William in that line, has a son called Abraham who marries Sophia Fields, who is part of the Musgrove family.

I will send you an email so you can send on what you have and we can send you the William family tree. If this all pans out, and some of the detail my cousin and I are providing here would seem to substantiate it, then you're right, it's indeed an exciting day with more to come!

Offline Old Throstle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 April 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy,

I'm Viv's cousin. Just wanted to say how thrilled I am that it seems you have found the link between William and Robert. I'm really looking forward to seeing the wills. As Viv mentioned I did a lot of research into the Bitchenors around 2004-2007 and it's still ongoing!! I'm more than happy to share anything with you that I have if it's of use.

As Viv said I was interested in the reference in one of the posts to the marriage of an Ann Bichenor to Thomas Ingram - 21/10/1689  because William B and Constance Houghton's son William (our direct ancestor) married an Elizabeth Ingram in 1720. I wondered if they were from the same Ingram family? I was also interested in the marriage of William Bitcheno of Crawley to Sarah Musgrove. The name Musgrove has appeared before in my research i.e. Mary Musgrove of Kempston wife of Abraham Bitchener married 4/12/1866. Abraham was the son of William Bitchenor of Kempston and Sophia Fields.
Kind Regards
Old Throstle.

Offline Val Bic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 January 15 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Ooh if you have cracked the Bitchener/Bichener/Beatchnor well done. I was stuck on what I assume are 3 brothers marrying . Working on the Hugenot angle they would have to get married in Church of E but births could have been in the Wallloon chuches.

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/cnm/html/EXHIBITS/lace/lacehtml/01_huguenot.html

I have a few strays who I am sure are also connected

Timothy Beachenor m Joan Wiat 19 Sep 1603

Timothy Bapd & died 1604 Leighton Buzzard
Mary 1607
John 1609
Joan 1612

Elizabeth Bechyner marr John Fletcher Northill 1577

Offline PBeckett44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I have recently read an article on a George Bitchener of Cranfield born c1853 , it was on a Facebook family history page for Cranfield . If it's of any interest to anyone I can post the details.
Beckett-Antrim,Renfrewshire
Nevin,Warnock,Wilson,Lester-Londonderry/Antrim
Kennedy-Wexford
Cox,Evans-Bedfordshire

Offline Val Bic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that would be great

Val

Offline PBeckett44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val, I might have to send the article by PM as I'm unsure of newspaper copyright etc.
Beckett-Antrim,Renfrewshire
Nevin,Warnock,Wilson,Lester-Londonderry/Antrim
Kennedy-Wexford
Cox,Evans-Bedfordshire