Author Topic: Wilsons Yard, Station Street, Middlesbrough  (Read 21271 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsons Yard, Station Street, Middlesbrough
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 31 January 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
And of course they allowed the demolition of the lovely North Riding Infirmary and the building of a supermarket in its place.  :(
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Neil Walton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 23:10 BST (UK) »
The building, to the left of The Raglan Hotel in your photo, was the CO-OP fruit and veg warehouse. I was born in The Raglan.

Offline Brian Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 12 February 16 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Just followed with interest, all your findings on station street Middlesbrough. Can any one remember an entrance into a type of court yard with houses all round the court yard, like flats at least two stories high, The entrance from memory was on the left of station St. going towards Boundary Rd, but nearer to the Linthorpe Rd end, always reminded me of soldiers barracks.

Brian

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 February 16 06:54 GMT (UK) »
That's what we as kids knew as the Barracks, with steel or cast iron stairs and balconies around the inside. If you trawl through all the answers/replies on this thread you will find other names for that enclave of homes, Model Houses is one such name.

James

Offline Brian Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 February 16 06:17 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks James, do you remember the Rag a bone/ scrap yard also on left hand side of Station St corner and Boundary Rd ,  there used to be ques,s of people around 1946 / 7 from over the boarder and cannon St area, taking all their old clothes and wool items to get what money they could for them, the main gates was on Boundary RD,. I always remember looking through those gates. on my way back home over the boarder, when Two or Three large dogs in the scrap yard

Brian

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 February 16 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about the scrap yard on Boundary Road, but there was one on Snowdon Road, He was a General Dealer and had horses and stables, I think it was called Totties Yard, he had a lovely horse called Dolly, I earned a few bob chopping sticks there after school, there was another rag shop on Durham Street near to the Captain Cook called Baums, they cut and baled the rags for the maritime chandlers who sold them to ships for engine rooms.
Every one was scratching about to make some money even kids knocking on doors to ask if they could run errands.
Memories eh?

James