Author Topic: Ovenden house, sundridge kent  (Read 7529 times)

Offline carolanne27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ovenden house, sundridge kent
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Also you seem to be able to source info quickly and enjoy a challenge see if you can find a copy of a 1920 article i belive it was a may issue of country life they did a large article on sir william plenders country house ovenden, sundridge sevenoaks kent. I can only find reference to a copy having been sold on ebay from the old map shop.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 March 12 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I haven't dug up anything speicif as yet, but I suppose you already know this:
Plender, of Ovenden, Sundridge, Kent (created 1923 - extinct 1946) - see Baron Plender
So the title of Baronet becoming extinct in 1946 ties in fairly well with the house being bombed and possessions auctioned off. So there were no sons to pass the title to. Were there any descendants at all?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 March 12 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Country Life
May 8th 1920
A main feature on Ovenden in Kent, the residence of Sir William Pender.
8 page feature with b & W illustrations of the house, interiors and gardens.

I think these early magazines are highly sought after and reach high prices.

As you know the date of issue, why don't you contact Country Life? They must have archives of their publications and may be able to provide you with a photocopy or scan of the article.
http://www.countrylife.co.uk/
They appear to have a photograph library and a cumulative index. There must also be a 'contact us' on the site.

Offline carolanne27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 March 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe lord plender owned the house I believe it was leased to him or appointed to him as a country residence fir some title he had. He had no defendants and apparently donated a social club in Sundridge according to locals I used to run it so I know he was president of the club in the 1930s.

Offline szczyrk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 May 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolanne,

I have a lot of family history photos and a family tree that goes back to the 1700's which my Great Aunty did. Over the last week or so, i have been trying to work out what name went to what photo (as she hadn't written on every photo)
The bit that will interest you is that my Great Aunty Pop was the lady in waiting to Lady Plender of Ovenden Kent (My Mum has just said that she was the seamstress, but i am 99% sure she was the lady in waiting)
Anyway, i have loads of photos of Ovenden, the grounds, a couple of the interior and lots of Lord and Lady Plender with friends and personal photos.
She was also the Lady in waiting to the Queen of Yugoslavia temporarily.
I don't know any of the history or anything at all to do with the history of Ovenden, that is what i was doing tonight actually, trying to find a bit of history by googling Ovenden when i came across your post.
So, hope that is of interest to you?
Sam

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 00:24 BST (UK) »
How exciting Sam! I'm sure Carolanne will be thrilled to see your photos. If you are clever enough, would you be able to post a couple of them here? I'm curious to see them, in particular the interior.  :)

Offline carolanne27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
would give my right arm to see the pics!!!

Offline hairymelon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
My Mother was Cook to Lord and Lady Plender prior to her marriage in 1937. They lives in South Kensington, London during the winter and at Ovenden House during the Summer. I have a picture of the house which is I believe a print copied from a photograph. I will scan and post tomorrow.

Offline John999

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 20 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in a family, the Croppers or Thornburgh-Croppers, who lived in Ovenden House from about 1877 until possibly as late as 1895. From what is written above, I think they may have rented it from Lady Stanhope. There is mention in this thread of some photographs of the house. But I cannot see that anyone has posted one. Would it be possible for someone to post a good high-resolution scan of the house. I would love to see that.