Author Topic: Delany Family in Wexford  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Pipzilla

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Delany Family in Wexford
« on: Wednesday 21 March 12 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
I've never used this sort of thing before so I'm not altogether certain if I am using it right.  Please forgive me if I am not.
The last of my fathers siblings passed away a couple of years ago and I have no idea where any of my cousins are.  Apparently my Aunt was putting together a family tree but I can no longer obtain that information.
I live in Auckland, New Zealand.  My great grandparents moved here from Wexford in the 1800s. I have very little information to go on but if anyone has any tips for me, I'd very much appreciate all the help I can get. I understand that the Delany name has morphed between Delany and Delaney over the years.
Where should I start?? So far all I have is my grandmothers name (whom I never met). Mary Violet Delany. She is buried at the Waikaraka Cemetery in Onehunga, Auckland.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Regards
Pip

Offline Plugster76

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Delany Family in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
My mum's maiden name is Veronica Delaney from Columba villas, wexford town, she had an older sister called Marina, a younger sister called Margaret, 2 older brothers called Fred and Tom and the youngest is John.  My uncle Fred lived in Bernadette place until he passed away a few years ago, their father Richard Delaney worked for a while on the lighthouse ships around the coast of south east ireland as his family did for some generations, although he was also a plumber around Wexford town throughout the 60's and 70's which was what he was mainly known locally.  He had a brother Kevin Thomas Delaney. Who died relatively young from a heart attack and my brother was named after him! 

I can give you more info if the details tally up...

Michelle

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
There's references to Delaney families from Wexford Town in this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,327249.0.html

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline Jae Cee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
hi Pipzilla - I suggest start tracking back from the cemetery records which give the age and date of death of your grandparents and the names of their children - you can use bdm to find their birth year then track back from your grandparents - once you get back to Ireland there are so many same names you need rock solid names and dates to know that you have discovered the correct baptism or other records
I am researching the Speight family
Mary Violet Speight married Laurence William Delany
Her parents were Mary Ann Byrne ( listed in the cemetery records as from uxford but google tells me probably from Wexford! And John James Speight born in Bradford England
He came out to Christchurch NZ with his parents Joseph and Elizabeth in 1880
Mary Anne and John Joseph Speight are both buried in Hillsborough cemetery in Auckland
Mary Anne was listed as having lived in NZ for 45 years when she died so you may be able to locate her ship record to find out more about her and if she was travelling with family when she came out - that might give you the names of her siblings and both parents names ...
I hope this helps get you started Jae Cee

Offline chris946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I’m new to this and so apologise if I’m not doing things correctly! I think these posts on the Delaney’s are several years old but I’ve recently had some new leads on one of my relatives, a Richard Delaney from the Wexford/ Leinster area and came across this site with possible information on him.
I’m looking for a Richard Delaney from this area of Ireland who went to work in Coventry for a while during the war. I don’t know any more about him, other than he was married, and that he was in Coventry in 1945, maybe before, and was staying in a hostel for munitions workers. I’ve recently found out that he came from the Wexford area.
There are quite a few Richard Delaney’s about but I think there are 2 that fit best, Capt Richard Joseph 1909-1985, and Richard, 1905-1980 who I believe was also a seaman and then a plumber. There are other possibilities but they are maybe too old.
Unfortunately that’s about all I know about him but any information anyone has would be much appreciated. Thanks
Chris