Author Topic: Boggart Hole Clough  (Read 15016 times)

Offline ozdude

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boggart Hole Clough
« on: Tuesday 03 April 12 00:15 BST (UK) »
G’day folks

This is a real long shot… I have been trying to find information on a prefab estate, it was located in Boggart Hole Clough Charlestown Rd. Blackley, Manchester

I lived there with my grandmother until mid 1960 I was about 8 years old at the time.
I contacted Manchester council and have searched their image collection as well all they could tell me was it was demolished by early 1970 I know my grandmother had moved around 1963
I have searched the net for photos and info for a long time.

So my question is: would anybody know when it was built…
When it was demolished…
Or the big one…. Any photos :)

Cheers…George ;)
Manchester, Lancashire
Welsh
Smith
Knight
Lyndon
Copestake

Living in Australia

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boggart Hole Clough
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
This estate is even harder to track down than the Heaton Park one was!

The Manchester Guardian digital archive (pay to view or through a Manchester library card) had 6 hits on a search for Blackley Prefabs or  Prefabricated Boggart (!), but the only photos I have found so far are of the demolished sites at Blackley and Heaton Park. They are alongside a Guardian article dated 4 Jan 1967 (discussing the future of the sites, and whether they should be returned to parkland or have permanent houses built on them). It describes the Heaton Park and Blackley estates as 'recently demolished' so if that is correct, they had come down before 1967.

An earlier article dated 15 May 1964 suggests that the prefabs had been cleared, or were being cleared in that year:
"The Parks Committee [of Manchester Corporation] has prepared plans for a sports centre on the site at Heaton Park, where prefabricated houses, built just after the war, were demolished recently, and a nine-hole golf course at Boggart Hole Clough on the former temporary housing site.."
so your grandmother probably left just before the demolition programme started.

Another article dated 1953 states that they were only intended to have a 10-year lifespan  and that "..in Manchester alone, a thousand permanent homes would have to be found for the prefab-dwellers in 1955-56, when the 10 years end..."
meaning they were constructed between 1945-6. This seems to fit with people's recollections on the rootschat Heaton Park threads.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,278711.0.html

I did find out that the Heaton Park prefabs were built by the Manchester architects Fairhursts, so possibly that firm had the contract for all Manchester's prefab estates.

Hope someone can turn up a photo for you

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
The area in 1935...
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
Do these street names sound right for the prefab estate?
Boggart Hole Crescent
Pevensey Close
Pollen Close

If so they were built in that white area on Stephen's map section, top right hand corner of Boggart Hole Clough park - area known as Charlestown

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,

Offline ozdude

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Barbara

They are the names of the streets, and yes they were in the white area of the map Stephen posted
The one I lived in was just opposite the main entrance to Booth Hall children’s hospital when it was still standing (Boggart hole crescent) it ran parallel to Charlestown road

I think I only have two photos of the house I lived in, one of them you can just see the hospital in the background
Thank you so much for that information, it’s more than the council could provide me. I was hoping someone may have had a photo or two ;D  I will keep searching

Cheers

George  :)
Manchester, Lancashire
Welsh
Smith
Knight
Lyndon
Copestake

Living in Australia

Offline ozdude

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 22:34 BST (UK) »
The area in 1935...

Thanks Stephen that's one map i have not seen :)

Cheers
George
Manchester, Lancashire
Welsh
Smith
Knight
Lyndon
Copestake

Living in Australia

Offline RonOne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 23:59 BST (UK) »
Another map - Click here - then select the 1952 map from the list on the right.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 21:35 BST (UK) »
For anyone wondering where this strange mainly Northern name comes from, a boggart is a a mischievous goblin or fairy, who makes the milk go sour or the cow go lame, etc.  The name is related to "bogeyman".  Some boggarts lived under bridges, like trolls in Scandinavian legends.  I guess this boggart was believed to live in some kind of a cave or hole on a hillside, which is what "clough" means.

Probably the golfers at Boggart Hole Clough Golf Club sometimes wonder whether there's a boggart at work ruining their stroke. :D

We Lancastrians used to have a saying, "He's off at t'boggart!", meaning running away at speed, as if escaping from one of these sprites.

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ozdude

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
For anyone wondering where this strange mainly Northern name comes from, a boggart is a a mischievous goblin or fairy, who makes the milk go sour or the cow go lame, etc.  The name is related to "bogeyman".  Some boggarts lived under bridges, like trolls in Scandinavian legends.  I guess this boggart was believed to live in some kind of a cave or hole on a hillside, which is what "clough" means.

Probably the golfers at Boggart Hole Clough Golf Club sometimes wonder whether there's a boggart at work ruining their stroke. :D

We Lancastrians used to have a saying, "He's off at t'boggart!", meaning running away at speed, as if escaping from one of these sprites.

Gillg

Gillg

I lived in the Clough till I was 8 yrs old and never heard of a Boggart until much later in life

Cheers ;)
Manchester, Lancashire
Welsh
Smith
Knight
Lyndon
Copestake

Living in Australia