Author Topic: KRR Tourney Barracks. Saunders  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
KRR Tourney Barracks. Saunders
« on: Wednesday 04 April 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have a South Farnborough 1927 marriage cert where the groom's address is KRR Tourney Barracks.
I know that George Saunders 1901-1961 was in the Army but can someone tell me what KRR stands for, please?
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: KRR Tourney Barracks. Saunders
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
hi,,could be Kings Royal Rifles ?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Tournay/Tourney barracks, Aldershot - http://www3.hants.gov.uk/aldershot-museum/local-history-aldershot/barracks/tournay-barracks.htm

It was the 2nd Battalion of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in Aldershot from 1925 to 1928, when they moved to Tidworth; then to Belfast in 1932. As he served after 1920 you will have to apply to the MOD for his service record.

Ken

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,
Many thanks for that. I know George was in Africa for a while because I have photos, but not sure if that was before he married or after. He also served during WW1 under age
in Royal Engineers Inland Waterways and Docks
 MOD here I come.  After I have looked up how to do it.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;