Author Topic: Mary Ann Curzon/James Wilshaw Canal Boatman, Stoke Upon Trent  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Microscopia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Curzon/James Wilshaw Canal Boatman, Stoke Upon Trent
« on: Saturday 07 April 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
I am trying to tie-up some loose ends in my family tree, which includes Curzon, Wilshaw, Simcock, Barker from the Hanley, Bagnall, Norton, Endon, Shelton areas of Stoke-on-Trent - which for me coming from Norfolk is no mean feat!!

The key to all this is a large framed portrait of, I believe, my GG-Grandmother Mary Ann Curzon, who married James Wilshaw a boatman at St. Peters Church, Stoke Upon Trent, Stafford on 05 August 1850
This picture used to hang in her Granddaughter's  (my Grandmother, Martha Ann Barker nee Simcock) house at Bucknall.

Although I am 99.99% certain this is a portrait of Mary Ann Curzon, I am a bit puzzled by the name 'WILTON' visible bottom right-hand corner in the picture. My thoughts originally were that Mary Ann's Sister, Sarah Curzon, may have drawn the portrait as she was a painter at the age of 10 as shown on 1851 Census for 6 Charles St. Hanley; however I have no trace of Sarah after that date to see if she married a 'Wilton', or I am simply making the wrong assumption, with 'Wilton' being a known portrait artist for that area. I estimate the date of the portrait as being c1880 as Mary Ann was born 1833, although I'm terrible at judging women's age!!
Any help here would be appreciated about Sarah Curzon, the portrait, hints from the name 'Wilton' etc.

ps I hadn't realised how many Wilshaws there were in the area - and the brickwall it presents in Identifying the correct James Wilshaw, Mary Ann's husband prior to their marriage!

+ Now added photo showing picture & frame with photo of enhanced signature which may be of help.
Curzon, Wilshaw, Simcock, Barker, Bailey, Churchman

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Curzon/James Wilshaw Canal Boatman, Stoke Upon Trent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 12 09:42 BST (UK) »

Possible death, but no age given..

Sarah Curzon June qtr,1854 Stoke  -Info from FreeBMD.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Microscopia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 12 11:26 BST (UK) »

Possible death, but no age given..

Sarah Curzon June qtr,1854 Stoke  -Info from FreeBMD.

Jackie

Thanks Jackie - it looks probable and would knock my theory in the head about Sarah being the artist!

Lawrence

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 12 00:17 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to remove the painting from the frame? There may be clues on the reverse, such as the name of sitter and the date painted.
Leadbetter North Meols
Tyrrell  and Shettle Hampshire
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Smail and Cochran Berwickshire
Worling and Harrop Cambridgeshire
Happ Eltville
Harrop and Shettle Suffolk

Offline Microscopia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
I had the same thoughts, but am loathe to do so as it's well sealed up with the original covering of brown paper backing. It would mean cutting through the backing and then having to re-seal it afterwards - may have to leave it to a professional restorer when it's due for cleaning!

Lawrence

Offline Microscopia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across the name 'WILTON' during the 1880's (around the 1833 mark), with occupation either 'artist', 'colourman', painter or even 'photographer' ?
I've had a look through various online trade journals, but couldn't find anything matching!

Lawrence

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Agree Mary Ann looks around 50 at age of sitting so looked on the '81 Census for a Wilton who was an artist. Came up with this:
1881 Census London, Marylebone, St John RG11/164/ 74 p27.
Charles Wilton Head 71 Artist and Picture Restorer born Sheerness Kent
Ann Wilton Wife Married 74 born Hereford England
Jane C Wilton Daughter 30 Artist (painter) born Marylebone, Middlesex, England

Could this be your artist?
Deb

Offline Microscopia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deb - it's a bit of a long shot, given the difference in locations, but I will do some research on their names to see what turns up!

Lawrence

Offline Robert Wilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 December 17 04:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to tie-up some loose ends in my family tree, which includes Curzon, Wilshaw, Simcock, Barker from the Hanley, Bagnall, Norton, Endon, Shelton areas of Stoke-on-Trent - which for me coming from Norfolk is no mean feat!!

The key to all this is a large framed portrait of, I believe, my GG-Grandmother Mary Ann Curzon, who married James Wilshaw a boatman at St. Peters Church, Stoke Upon Trent, Stafford on 05 August 1850
This picture used to hang in her Granddaughter's  (my Grandmother, Martha Ann Barker nee Simcock) house at Bucknall.

Although I am 99.99% certain this is a portrait of Mary Ann Curzon, I am a bit puzzled by the name 'WILTON' visible bottom right-hand corner in the picture. My thoughts originally were that Mary Ann's Sister, Sarah Curzon, may have drawn the portrait as she was a painter at the age of 10 as shown on 1851 Census for 6 Charles St. Hanley; however I have no trace of Sarah after that date to see if she married a 'Wilton', or I am simply making the wrong assumption, with 'Wilton' being a known portrait artist for that area. I estimate the date of the portrait as being c1880 as Mary Ann was born 1833, although I'm terrible at judging women's age!!
Any help here would be appreciated about Sarah Curzon, the portrait, hints from the name 'Wilton' etc.

ps I hadn't realised how many Wilshaws there were in the area - and the brickwall it presents in Identifying the correct James Wilshaw, Mary Ann's husband prior to their marriage!

+ Now added photo showing picture & frame with photo of enhanced signature which may be of help.

My family come from Etruria Hanley Stoke on Trent and we had and have many artists in the family. I will ask my cousin for you.