Author Topic: Alice jane Bates in Saskatchewan?  (Read 4391 times)

Offline delp60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice jane Bates in Saskatchewan?
« on: Monday 09 April 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Looking for any descendants or family by marriage in Canada of Alice Jane Bates Born Circa 1872 in Lancashire, UK. She left her husband in the UK & migrated to Canada with, we believe, a Canadian serviceman to Saskatchewan somewhere between 1908 & 1918. The co-respondent on her divorce papers was a Thomas Duckworth. Bates was her married name & her maiden name was Harris. We have so little to go on as my grandmother, her daughter, was only about 8 years old when her mother left. She promised to return for her daughters but apart from a few postcards was never heard from again.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alice jane Bates in Saskatchewan?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 14:16 BST (UK) »
What year was your grandmother born so we can narrow down the time frame. If Alice Jane came back with a Canadian soldier, I would think it would be during or after the Frist World War.

If you have a copy of the divorce papers, that should give you an address for her in Canada and date for the divorce proceedings.

I haven't found her or a Thomas Duckworth on the 1911 census. There are Duckworth's in Saskatchewan on the census. Perhaps someone can check the 1916 census to see if they show up there. If all else fails, the 1921 census will be available in the next few years.

All stats in Canada are by province, no central registry. That is why it is important to find a province to start with.

Offline delp60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Will order the divorce papers. I think the divorce was finalised after she left so i guess your suggestion will help us advance on this issue. I believe Alice Jane's last child with her husband was born in 1908.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
There is this Thomas Duckworth....but with no proof that he was a soldier other than family hearsay...Hard to count on that being true...He may have been using a middle name, etc. http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc003/304784a.gif

adding, just found a similar request on U.K board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,591326.0.html

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline delp60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 05:36 BST (UK) »
Found a Thomas Benjamin Duckworth that fits the birthdate, area of birth & later in Canada.

Also, sorry, didn't answer an earlier question, Alice jane was born I believe in or around Liverpool UK in 1873 to Henry & Alice Jane Harris.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 05:44 BST (UK) »
have not found an Alice Jane Harris/Bates/Duckworth on passenger lists to either Canada or the US that would confirm her arrival.
I don't have access to ancestorsonboard.com to check on the passenger list's on that site.

From the thread on the UK board. Alice was found on the Ireland Census of 1901 with husband and 2 children. She is missing on the 1911 Ireland census. her husband is a boarder and the children are living with an aunt and uncle. So using this information she left the husband sometime between the census but one child is listed as 3 or 4 in 1911 so using that info, she probably left after 1908 or 1909.

I still haven't found her on a census in Canada for 1911 and nothing that looks promising for 1916 census of the Alberta/Manitoba and Saskatchewan. There are several Duckworth's listed on the Western Land Grants but not a Thomas so that wasn't helpful.

If her husband divorced her in 1917 and the lawyers representing her were in Canada, then we should be able to find her somewhere. I am starting to think she may have been going by a different name. Do you know of any nicknames she may have used.

I have looked at the Form 30A for immigration between 1919 and 1924 but haven't found anything under Duckworth but from what has been posted, I think she would have been in Canada before then.

If all else fails, the 1921 census will be available and should be transcribed in the next few years and she may show up on that census.

I see from the other thread that you are trying to get the divorce papers. If you are successful, please post the info on this thread as that may give the info needed to find her.

Will keep looking, Val

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 05:46 BST (UK) »
Can you provide the information for the Thomas Benjamin that you found - his age, year of birth and residence.
 Val

Offline delp60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 05:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I found an Alice Bates that travelled from Liverpool to Halifax Nova Scotia in 1905. She may have returned to Liverpool from Belfast after the marriage failed before embarking for Canada. It was on findmypast.co.UK. I'll have to pay up to get the details.

Offline delp60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 06:10 BST (UK) »
Can't give all as I'm not paid up on Ancestry, however I found this one and some things line up. Birth date is the same, Born in Lancashire (other source says Ashton Under Lyne, close to Manchester, was it part of Lancashire then or now?), we have his attestation for military service where he lists his next of kin as a Mrs Johnson, Hamilton, Ontario, the Ancestry lists his marriage as being at Wentworth, Ontario (no date for free search) which is a part of Hamilton if one looks at Google maps. The attestation shows him as unmarried as of 1914, Alice Jane was divorced in 1917, maybe just co-incidences but all we have to go on. Free searches of course leave out some details.