Author Topic: Hanley-carrowmacbryan  (Read 9026 times)

Offline sligohanley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanley-carrowmacbryan
« on: Friday 20 April 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hello I am searching for my Grandfather William J. Hanleys family. I have found my Grandmother's Kate Ann (Catherine) Ormsby family easily, since her family tree was preserved by my 2nd Cousin John Ormsby. She lived at 9 Carrownacbryan easky west sligo. Her husband (my grandfather) is an utter mystery on the other hand. My father  also William John Hanley, didn't speak of his father. MY Grandfather died when my father was about 10  yrs old. around 1939. in NYC. (730 11th avenue NYC, NY). I am told he too had a pub (I believe in our old neighborhood of Hells Kitchen). MY grandfather had to leave Sligo around 1922-1929 because of his support of the "FREE STATE", he left behind his son Christopher Hanley in Sligo, I believe with his sister in law Belinda Ormsby. When my Grandfather W.J.H 1st died, my father W.J.H 2nd born in NYC 1929 (50th street) worked as a boy to bring his brother Christopher (Christy) over from Sligo. Uncle Christy wanted little to do with his "Flat Back" brother, William (my father had many hopes for them as brothers) but Uncle Christy must have felt abandoned by his parents and replaced by his American born brother, understandably so. Uncle Chris passed around 1995 in Queens, by that time, we were caring for Uncle Chris, as we were the only Hanley's of relation to him. I've read and researched many posts and find similarities or coincidences and many differences. My Grandfather William J. Hanley and the Hanley's are a puzzle. I hope someone can help in any way. MY father William John Hanley passed in 2001 in NYC, I have many memories to share of my own father with my son, but that is all that I can give my son for now, because I know little of my own Grandfather. The only document that I found of my Grandfather was a 1930 census in NYC that listed my Father, Grandfather and Grandmother Catherine (as we referred of her, not Kate Ann) spelt Ormsby, not Armsby as in census. So far this is the only reliable document of him, since I was born in that same apartment in "Hells Kitchen". I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hanley-carrowmacbryan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, sligohanley  :)

Would this be the registration of your grandparents - both names are in the list of possible spouses:
William Hanley
Catherine Ormsby
Sligo registration district January-March 1924 volume 2 pg 143

Or is that too late?

You can purchase the registration certificate here: http://www.groireland.ie/

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TaylorEaskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
william hanley married catherine ormsby in sligo cathedral on 5  february 1924.

william  was born  25 august 1903  in townland of carrownrush, parish of  easkey. he had an older brother daniel d.o.b 26 july 1901, parents were thomas hanley and bridget connor.

his parents married 17 february 1900. thomas hanleys d.o.b 27 march 1867 .parents of thomas were daniel hanley and winifred hannon. thomas hanley died 13 november 1928 and  bridget hanley died  21 october 1944.   
when did william and catherine die in new york?

hope this helps.

Pat.   

Offline sligohanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I had no idea that you replied to me two years ago!
I want to thank you for your time, how kind and generous of you.
I never received any email or alert to inform me that someone replied. I became discouraged and gave up. Thanking you so much for this gift. I miss my father and part of me is seeking a connection to him and us. My father raised me and there are many factors that shaped him as a parent. A wonderful DAD! Now I know where my Name came from! my great Uncle (who died) that explains why there was no talk of my Grandfather's siblings . I see that i was named after my great Grandfather too.  My father used to sing Dany Boy to me. Thank you for the gift of your time and knowledge.

You asked when my grandmother died. Catherine/Kate ann Ormsby (Hanley). i will have to dig out my papers. I attended her funeral, as a young child the year was 1975. I only have a mass card, so I may be a few days, to a week off of the day of passing. She had dementia and colon cancer.

As for my Grandfather William John Hanley. I can only go on what my father told me. My recall is that my father was approx. ten years old around 1939. He died of Walking Pneumonia, I wonder if I could check the records with Roosevelt Hospital, NYC ? He did not die in the hospital, because my father came home from Catholic school, could not open the door, pushed and found his fathers body blocking it. But perhaps he was taken there by ambulance? There was never any talk of his having a grave. My grandparents were very poor. Grampa Hanley lost his bar , and the depression left them cold and hungry. My grandmother worked at a garment factory, and my father stole bread and shined shoes. Family  ( Ormsby's) brought coal to burn.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 November 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome back  ;) thank you for the personal message - it's understandable but you will soon get used to the site and people who are willing to help if possible.
You need to indicate that you will accept notifications - check your profile re Email notifications.
Pat only made the one post as you can see but may have kept the account open and is perhaps local from the name.

From Pat's info, this looks to be the family in 1911 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Easky_West/Carrownrush/769094/

And 1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Easky_West/Carrownrush/1677645/

Regards
Heywood

Offline TaylorEaskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 November 14 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I got your message. try irishgaveyards.ie and type in hanley in easkey graveyard &
go to irishmilitaryarchives.ie go to search the collection click organisations and membership files
county mayo, and click search scroll down to bottom click on ro/332-341 2nd brigade north mayo
see: ro 337pdf and enjoy

Notice in local newspaper from usa t hanley co sligo an anniversary mass for the late thomas hanley
carrenrush was celebrated at the sacred heart church, west 51st street new york city on monday
last, which was attended by many friends and relatives of the hanley family from the parish of easkey
william is mentioned on his parents headstone in easkey  enjoy and let me know how you get on.

Thanks
Pat

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 14 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Pat,
Glad that you're still around to help. All sounds good. I had looked in wrong place re Military records so thanks for pointing that out.
(I found my uncles in 3rd Battalion, 2nd Brigade  :) so thanks again).
Heywood

Offline sligohanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 November 14 02:13 GMT (UK) »
This is Unbelievable!!!!
This is where my father William j Hanley went to school !
I wish I could have been there. I grew up a few blocks away.
They tore the school down, but I guess the church still stands .
There are at least two William Hanley's I have to call the church .
There are no Hanleys alive, here in America. Except for my siblings and we would know any Hanley in NYC growing up. I imagine we must be clansmen though ? I'll see if I can register .
This is why I am searching because our line is almost gone . Only my brother carries the name and fortunately he had a boy. So much rides on him. My uncle christy had no children . And judging by records I've found the generations have only one boy . As I do. But he won't carry the Hanley name.
I have found some info thanks to you , as I have been thwarted in years of searching . Is there anything that I can do to return the favor. I am just outside NYC . I'd be happy to go to a library, cemetary, courthouse for you here in NY. Or even a place in US where a Freind could get a gravestone impression for you . Nothing is too small to ask. As, my gratitude overflows. I thank God for the kindness of strangers .
                                             Blessings,
                                             Danielle
Ps I've filled in much Ancestry. Com info . It's important that our legacy know their roots. I have heard so many amazing stories of the immigrants of Hells kitchen. I am proud to be raised with those values.
Do you know what happened to young Daniel Hanley ? Did he die as a child ? Last census shows age 10 in 1911.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 November 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
It's great that you have some answers.
Well done Pat!