Author Topic: Samuel Rudge Birmingham, Warwick  (Read 2807 times)

Offline wrudge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Rudge Birmingham, Warwick
« on: Friday 20 April 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am trying to see if I can get more information (and determine the parents of my 4x great grandfather). Here is what I have found via familysearch:

I believe this to be his marriage record:
Groom's Name:    Samuel Rudge
Bride's Name:    Mary Lighham
Marriage Date:    07 Nov 1809
Marriage Place:    Saint Phillips,Birmingham,Warwick,England

I believe this to be the baptism of Samuel Rudge but how do I confirm:
Name:    Samuel Rudge
Baptism/Christening Date:    05 Jun 1789
Baptism/Christening Place:    SAINT MARTIN,BIRMINGHAM,WARWICK,ENGLAND
Father's Name:    William Rudge
Mother's Name:    Catharine

Thanks,
Bill

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Rudge Birmingham, Warwick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1851 census for Leicester has Samuel b 1789 in Sutton Warwickshire and Mary 1795 in Holbury, Shropshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wrudge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole. I have the 1851 census information. Are you suggesting I have the wrong baptism information for Samuel Rudge? Tried looking for Sutton on a map and closest I see is Sutton Coldfield. Thank you for your help Carole.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I honestly don't know.  Sutton Coldfield is only around 7 miles from Birmingham so it would be quite possible for that IGI baptism to be the right one.  The family may have moved nearer to Birmingham after Samuel's birth.

The 1809 marriage I am less certain about

In 1851 - Mary is 56.  If her age is correct, she would only have been 14 in 1809
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
Although it's highly unusual for a 14 year old to marry it was the minimum age for marriage providing the father gave his consent.
You would need to see the marriage entry as it should state this.
At present the question is more about what you don't have than what you do as this is the only Samuel Rudge in the area with a wife Mary.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline DD70Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if anyone's likely to see this, the thread has been quiet for a long time, but if anyone's interested I have an interesting theory about 'Mary Lighham', who I think is my GGGG Grandmother.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth (after all this time), I believe that Samuel Rudge was indeed born in Sutton Coldfield.

Samuel's first son was named Edward and 5 children were born to an Edward Rudge and Mary Ellis who married in Sutton Coldfield 2/3/1778:

Joanna bp.3/1/1783
Nancy bp.10/11/1784
Edward Ireland bp.8/10/1786 (died 1846)
Edward bp.5/10/1788
Mary bp.5/7/1793

As you can see, a son Edward Ireland Rudge was born 1786 BUT he didn't die until 1846 and I think the 'Edward' bp.1788 is a mistake on the part of the clergy when recording it in the register  and should in fact read 'Samuel'.   Why would they have 2 Edward's just 2 years apart?  The 1788 baptism fits exactly with the age of Samuel Rudge.

Edward Ireland Rudge left a will and I was hoping it might mention a brother Samuel Rudge but alas not.   Think Edward married as plain Edward to a Sarah Knowles 1808 Birmingham - his will refers often to a William Knowles whom I'm guessing was a brother in law.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline DD70Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette - glad someone was listening, and the Edward error in Sutton makes sense.

I’m descended from Mary Rudge (b 1817) daughter of Samuel & Mary Rudge.

Another of Samuel & Mary’s daughters, Ann (b 1828) married John Lightborne in Harborne in 1828. I have only recently discovered this marriage but it opens up a wealth of possibilities.

The Lightbornes settled near Buckingham (John was born in Leckhampstead), but John’s father, Thomas, gives his birthplace as ‘Oldbury, Shropshire’. Also in the area is a John Lightborne, b 1801 in Oldbury.

I then thought about the Samuel Rudge/Mary Lighham (sic) marriage in 1809. Clearly, Lighham is not a true transcription. It's possible that it’s a botched attempt to write some version of Lightborne (note: Mary has written her own name – it’s not her mark!)?

If you remember, Mary’s birthplace on the 1851 census reads something like ‘Holbury, Shropshire’.

A search for names a bit like Lightborne and Lighham brings up a Mary Lighton, baptised in Oldbury, Worcestershire in 1793, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth.

Is it possible that ‘Holbury, Shropshire’ is a Leicestershire census taker’s misunderstanding of a Black Country accent actually saying ‘Oldbury’?

Also being baptised in Oldbury around this time are children of Thomas and Elizabeth Lightburne – Thomas (1795), Ann (1798) and John (1801). In a couple of cases, according to the IGI, these baptisms take place at the “Presbyterian Church, Oldbury by Halesowen, Shropshire’. Despite the ‘Shropshire’, this is the Oldbury actually then in Worcestershire, but which now forms part of Sandwell.

It is reasonable to assume that the Thomas baptised in 1795 is the father of the John who marries Ann Rudge in 1850. Also, that the John baptised in 1801 is the one also in Bucks.

If we have a double whammy mistranscription of Mary Lighham/Lighton’s name actually being Lightburne/Lightborne, then it looks like she is Thomas and John’s sister and that the Ann Rudge/John Lightborne marriage is one between first cousins.

So far, quite complicated, but here my brain gets really fried…

Having traced Thomas and John Lightborne, and possibly/probably Mary Lighham/Lighton, I wondered about Ann Lightborne. This I wasn’t expecting:

Ann Lightborne married Samuel Rudge in Harborne in 1815.

But this is a different Samuel Rudge. If you’ve looked for the children of Samuel and Mary, you’ve probably found the children of this marriage as well. The main ones of interest are:
John, b 1817, West Brom
Samuel, b 1818, West Brom

This Samuel is almost certainly the one who ended up becoming a JP and Mayor of Dudley.  In 1851, John is to be found with his mother, who is now named Morris – Samuel died in 1826, and she remarried in 1830.

So, what we may well have is two different Samuel Rudges, who married sisters.

I do have a theory to connect them as well!

Dave

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm not personally connected to this family, just a willing 'helper' (when I can).

Reading through your post I would concur with what you say.   I certainly think 'Holbury' on 1851 census should read 'Oldbury' and that Mary was the one baptised there in 1793 making her 16 when she married Samuel Rudge.

I'm guessing Samuel Rudge is the Samuel Rudge aged 74 death reg'd Sept.qtr.1861 Buckingham.   Buckingham is the registration district for Leckhampstead - the 1861 census earlier that year has Samuel as a widower in Northamptonshire and it's plausible that either he became ill and he went to his daughter where he died or perhaps died suddenly on a visit.   Who can say.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.