Author Topic: Newbould in Derby  (Read 6481 times)

Offline mootoak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newbould in Derby
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
There are least 12 Cof E churches baptising in Derby 1855, including Little Eaton and Darley Abbey. A further 7 non comformist including Ockbrook Moravian which might be worth checking. Don't give up on Derby until you have checked all these.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Gulp! I've spent ages today trying to track her down in Leeds area, where Ann Newbould / Newbold and William Isherwood married in 1874) in the 1871 census, in case she was already there by then, just as a change from banging my head against Derby - not much of which seems to be easily available online, and I've no idea which of the many CD records Derby proffers, it'd be worth buying.
 Sorry, what is / are "Moravian"? I think I've heard the name, but have no idea of the creed or beliefs. Now there's an interesting sideline to keep me at the keyboard for another hour or two....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do not know if you are aware not only is there a suitable birth for Ann Newbold in Derby but there is
also a suitable marriage for her parents:-

March Q 1854 Derby 7b 540
William Newbold marries either   Elizabeth Basford or  Ann Parks

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 October 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
Is that the same Ann Newbold mentioned by Wozzle some posts back, earlier this year? (Ap/May/June 1855 7b p 365)
When I get that cert. it may be that it will lead me to William's marriage to either Miss Basford or Miss Parks, and hence to a location to look for the family in 1861, to check out possible siblings. Thank you, spendlove, I appreciate your time and interest.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 November 12 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Is that the same Ann Newbold mentioned by Wozzle some posts back, earlier this year? (Ap/May/June 1855 7b p 365)
When I get that cert. it may be that it will lead me to William's marriage to either Miss Basford or Miss Parks, and hence to a location to look for the family in 1861, to check out possible siblings. Thank you, spendlove, I appreciate your time and interest.

I was just going to suggest buying this cert myself as it does fit.  You may have to consider that the father could have died between birth of Ann and the 1861 census.  Mother remarried and they use the new hubby's name on census.  There is a possible for an Ann on the 1871 as a servant boarder in Leicestershire aged 18 as well

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 November 12 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Am going to get cert. it seems only way to possibly get a little closer even if it may be incorrect one. I'd hoped to find some other evidence to confirm it, before ordering.
I'd not thought of father dying and mother re-marrying so soon - silly me, there really wasn't much option otherwise in those days, was there? Still, that'd pretty much mess up any chance of pinning down the family, wouldn't it?
I'd seen the 1871 Leicestershire entry, but - again, had no reason other than the name, to link her. I know that there's no point clutching at co-incidental straws, got to prove things, no matter how tempting.
Thank you Acorngenealogy, for your sound advice and help.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Just come upon this again - For information to those who kindly helped me in 2012: I got the certificate, "my" Ann wasn't the child of William Newbold and either Miss Basford or Miss Parkes.
She was a daughter of William Newbold an agricultural labourer, and his wife Harriet Topliss, but because for some reason Mrs Newbold is not on the 1861 census under Harriet Topliss, but as Harriet Brailsford, and young Ann appears there under "Nanny Brailsford" it took me a long while to track her down! I was able from the certificate to get a lot further back with both families, though, despite the continued proliferation of Williams Newbold.
It looks as if either she left her William, or he did die between the two censuses. There are other children born between the two censuses, 1851 and 1861, when she is with another man,so although I'm fairly sure Ann is in fact the child of William, I'm less certain about the parentage of the others.
The Joseph born two years before Ann could well be the brother who was a witness at Ann's  marriage, and there is a younger brother to Ann, called William, so I suspect he may well be William's child too, but then the next born is a Samuel in 1858ish - and there are Samuels in both the Topliss  and the Newbold families, so not a lot of help there.
I haven't managed to find a legit marriage for Harriet Newbold as a widow to the John Brailsford she hooks up with - they stay together for a couple of censuses whilst I suspect he's navvying on the railways, all over, haven't found a death for John Brailsford yet (and then she morphs into "Harriet Robinson" in Idle from 1881 on to her death, although here again I've not found a marriage to her John Robinson, in fact I think I've found him a wife and children over in Hull)

If she didn't just hop off with John B., leaving William, that leads me to think I need to find a death circa 1857+ for William Newbold. I did wonder about an 1861 census entry for a William Newbold ag lab, married,  of not too far from the right age, lodging with Hannah Marple and her family in Derbyshire, but that's a bit clutching at straws.
Thanks again for the help and time and effort all you spent on this. It just cropped up when I was searching for something else, so I felt it was worth updating.