Author Topic: Completed LOOK-UP Brisbane: SIMCOCK, Simeon/Maggie  (Read 7720 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK-UP Brisbane: SIMCOCK, Simeon/Maggie
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 April 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

I had a look at Trove, and it looks like the shipping for Rockhampton arrived at "Port Alma".

There are a few articles regarding the arrival of the "Jumna" , it looks like it travelled down the east coast to Brisbane.

Cass

Offline Polly1954

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
;D, Neil, mfcnt and chrisane I can not tell you how grateful I am for your help it's absolutely mind blowing what you have found for me.

The name of the boat they traveled on is now going to be something for me to look at and find out more about.

I am going to be speaking to my cousin,who was also in on the conversation with the elderly relative when she spoke about "someone" emigrating, asap this morning to ask her about a phone call she got about 15/18 months ago (her son actually took the call but he couldn't remember an awful lot and didn't have presence of mind to ask key questions such as a name!!!) from a man who purported to be calling from Australia, this may be something but it also may be nothing.

I'm sorry its taken a few days to reply to your posts as at work we are moving into a brand,spanking new hospital and its been a bit of a logistical nightmare to get clinics set up and ready for Monday and this is another area, despite the hard work, I am so excited about.

Once again thank you so so very much there really aren't the words to make you understand how grateful I am.

Polly.

Oooh this is where I show my total ignorance and say (I am renown for my total lack of geography) are we talking about Australia or New Zealand ??? cos I thought Brisbane was Australia but then you spoke of Rockport which I also thought was in Australia but then you spoke of Christchurch which I associate with New Zealand. I so sorry to appear to be so thick.
If only you could see me sitting here grimacing and pulling an ashamed face at my ignorance and hoping you don't think badly of me for it

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 April 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D Rockhampton is North Queensland you are right, it is also inland, so I was a bit bemused to find someone alighting from a ship. Never mind my humor. It was pointed out that there was a small port near Rocky The Oz for Rockhampton. Yes Christchurch is on the South Island of New Zealand and not in Australia.

We are only the Western Suburbs of Auckland according to many Kiwi's (ergh) thats a flightless bird in NZ also an OZism for all things NZ in Australia.

The decendants of them (Simeon) may be worth finding about?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Polly1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 April 12 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neil and I went and put "Rockport" instead of Rockhampton what a ninny I am. Would you say or feel that it is NZ that I should be looking at and of course looking for Violet and any other children they may have had.
I take it your a "Kiwi", I quite like that term  :) as it conjures up blue sky's and a laid back way of life but if you prefer not to be called that then I will respect your feelings and not do it again.

Polly

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 April 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT?

KIWI :o

Ah no, not a New Zealander, thank you.... ;)

Silver Ferns and All Blacks and all that stuff. Ah no, we dont drop our vowels in OZ, we sort of muck em around a bit! ;D

I would definately be looking over the Tasman though for the decendants.

I will see what can be found.

Neil...born and bred in NSW AUSTRALIA.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 12 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have had a look an A..cestry and on there is a record on the  NZ 1935 E Roll
which lists

SIMCOCK, Maggie, Robert, Simon and Violet Forrester all living at 74 Bowenvale Ave, Lyttelton, 

There is also a tree which indicated Violet married Frank Hamerton Demus and travelled to the USA or Canada, I only have Aussie Ance,,,stry so cannot find USA Canada records. Frank and Violet are in NZ up to 1949 as they are both on the E Roll living in Te Kuiti NZ.

I think Robert Simcock married a Doris, they are buried together, have a look at the cemetery link i gave you before.

It might be an idea to try the NZ pages, I have found that our cousins over the ditch are very helpful. (the ditch is the Tasman Sea which is between Aussie and NZ)

I hope that all has settled down in the new hospital

Regards Cass   also born and bred in NSW Aussie

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 12 01:05 BST (UK) »
I think Frank Hamerton be have been to US previously.
Frank H Demus Age 20 (matches with his birth reg on FeeBMD)
Arrival Date Aug 1919
Birthplace England Can read and write
He was not going to a relative or friend
Last Residence Canada
Nationality English
Port of Arrival - Seattle, Washington
Port of Departure - Vancouver, British Columbia

Born and bred England. Lived and married New Zealand (family still there)  Living in Australia.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 12 01:13 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this is his death?
Name: Frank Demus
Birth Date: 1899
Birth Country - Remainder of World (love this!)
White Male
Residence  Montgomery  Ohio United States
Date of death 13 Feb 1985
Hospital of Death - Long-Term Care Facilities  Montgomery County
Certificate: 014829
Age at Death - 86
Certifier of death - Physician
Autopsy? Yes, used for certification
social security number 295/ 40 /2139
Marital Status - Widowed
Occupation of deceased, Real estate, including real estate -insurance-law offices
Occupation of Deceased Managers, properties and real estate

No census records as they arrived after the 1940 record

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 April 12 01:20 BST (UK) »