Author Topic: My family & The Tolpuddle Martyrs - Hammett, Loveless, Martin of interest  (Read 11277 times)

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I'm new to this so thought I'd post some information I have and that interests me in the hope I can help and be helped.
I have had part of my ancestry professionally researched so what I have is proven, but there are still gaps.
Basically, I am a direct descendant of the sister (Elizabeth Hammett) of Topluddle Martyr James Hammett. Elizabeth's husband was Stephen Loveless who was the son of a cousin of Tolpuddle Martyrs George and James Loveless.
I am also very aware of a daughter of Elizabeth and Stephen (Mary Ann, who was known as Polly) who married her cousin, James Hammett's son Samuel). Polly was the sister of William (my gg grandfather).
Two sons (William - my gg grandfather - and James) of Stephen and Elizabeth left Tolpuddle and walked north to find work. William eventually ended up in Durham and my family followed on from this point.
I am also interested in the 'Martin' name. Again, Thomas Martin originated from the south, Kent this time, but ended up in Durham, and was my gg grandfather).
Another name of interest to me is Liddle - this family seem to be from the north back to the 1700's.
Going back to the Loveless family, my g grandmother's brother, James Loveless, died on HMS Warspite aged 20 years at the Battle of Jutland in WW1 and I am interested in any information around this - I have images of his grave in Queensferry.
I ma happy to share the info I have and scans of the photos I have.
Happy to help and be helped, best regards.
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My family & The Tolpuddle Martyrs - Hammett, Loveless, Martin of interest
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
PART ONE
I am attaching pdf files of part of my family tree chart. The information has been professionally researched and proven. I think I will have to do this over 2 messages. If the files are printed, you should be able to match them up (I have tried to leave enough overlap) then tape them together.
This relates to descendants of James Hammett's (TM) sister Elizabeth Hammett and her husband Stephen Loveless (relative of George and James Loveless (TM's).
Best wishes[/color]
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 May 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
PART TWO
I am attaching pdf files of part of my family tree chart. The information has been professionally researched and proven. I think I will have to do this over 2 messages. If the files are printed, you should be able to match them up (I have tried to leave enough overlap) then tape them together.
This relates to descendants of James Hammett's (TM) sister Elizabeth Hammett and her husband Stephen Loveless (relative of George and James Loveless (TM's).
Best wishes
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline greeneyesgudge

• RootsChat Senior
  • cushty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 13 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hiya sorry to intrude .i have discovered a Mary loveless who married a Joseph gudge in 1820 Dorset .jo was born 1800 so im guessing Mary was probley born about the same time .i am trying to find her parents names I was wondering if she's related to your loveless family members  ???
goodchild,gray,pitcher,popejoy,page,paul,edmonds,norris quatreman,gutteridge..wycombe birmingham .lazarus john francis india ,garrood,flick essex burnham ,Gudge surry n dorset ,alderton walton on thames an hampshire  kezia stapley frensham surry  ,holcroft bishopsgate manchester,matilda moxham jefferys bermondsey charles coates suffolk n cobham surry,mary white ripley surrey .turner suffolk .Fox n bruckshaw manchester ireland .clegg lancashire and moore ireland ,joseph clegg manchester

Offline JSAK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 13 17:07 GMT (UK) »
No intrusion at all, your query is most welcome. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with those names so I can't help, though Mary may well have been related in some way.
Best wishes
Tolpuddle Martyrs
Loveless
Hammett
Martin
HMS Warspite WW1

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Years ago we visited a pub in Tolpuddle and there were interesting bits and pieces on the walls about the Tolpudle Martyrs,
Th village isn't very big so you might be able to find ou e name of th pub and contact them.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline nietzsche

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to contact relatives of James Hammett.  Along with a friend, I have recently written a song about James Hammett, which I will be performing at Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival
this year.

But we both wanted to make the song more specific to James Hammett.  At the moment it is too general and could be describing any of the Martyrs - so it would be good if we could include some personal information that would make it clear that the song is about James.

If anyone can help, please email me at robpraxis@gmail.com.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with this form of communication.
Best - Rob

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
I was looking at the Tolpuddle website last night, see if my family name was on there, to see if it were worthwhile me working out the link .... family name's there (female married in to one of the 4th generation decendants), but wasn't enough of a "family-style name" for me to think it worthwhile.

http://www.tolpuddlemartyrs.org.uk/

The Festival is next month. 17th-19th
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Rhodie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to contact relatives of James Hammett.  Along with a friend, I have recently written a song about James Hammett, which I will be performing at Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival
this year.

But we both wanted to make the song more specific to James Hammett.  At the moment it is too general and could be describing any of the Martyrs - so it would be good if we could include some personal information that would make it clear that the song is about James.

If anyone can help, please email me at robpraxis@gmail.com.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with this form of communication.
Best - Rob

HI, I'VE JUST SEEN THIS.  i AM A COUSIN OF JAMES HAMMETT AND EVERY YEAR WE GO TO THE FESTIVAL AS WE DID THIS YEAR AND MEET UP WITH LOTS OF HIS RELATIVES.  I HAVE PUBLISHED A BOOK ON HIS FAMILY TREE.  WILL PM YOU WITH THE DETAILS.  HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE NEXT YEAR.