Author Topic: W John Montgomery of Bangor  (Read 11803 times)

Offline MontyBelfast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
W John Montgomery of Bangor
« on: Sunday 29 April 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about W John Montgomery of Bangor, born about 1760, died 16 Feb 1841 aged 81. This information is taken from a gravestone in Bangor Abbey.  His wife was Mary, possibly Queen (?Quinn) died 1849 or 1859 aged 84. He is mentioned in the diary of his great grand daughter Joy as owning quite a large piece of property , part of which he farmed, at Ballyvester.  Any further information greatfully appreciated.

MontyBelfast

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: W John Montgomery of Bangor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Monty welcome to the forum. Have you tried the Montgomery file on Ros Davies Co Down website. Use google to connectThere are numerous Montgomerys in the civil parish of Donaghadee, which is where ballyvestor is. Good luck.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline MontyBelfast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have tried at Ros' site and everywhere else that I know and always drawn a blank.  The only hope is for someone who is descended from the same person or has an ascestor who is his brother or sister.  I have relations in Australia and America from the same source and am now clutching at straws.

Thanks anyway.

MontyBelfast

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Monty

These brickwalls! so just to check what you have tried all the single
books relating to the irish montgomery, see Linenhall library online catalogue
Street directories eg www.lennonwylie.co.uk/1852PD1.htm#Bangor
1852 has under Bangor Montgomery, Henry, merchant tailor, Main Street

Irish Census 1901 and 1911,  at least one family has lived there for sometime, another is from Co Cavan
Church records see Ros davies Im sure you have.
surname boards genforum and rootsweb surname boards.

PRONI ‘s many databases , eg    Pre-1858 Wills and Admons
Sub-Index :   Down Diocesan Administration Bonds
Surname :   Montgomery
Forename :   Hugh
Town or Townland :   Bangor
Date :   1850
Original Documents :   The original documents referred to in this index DO NOT exist. No further information, other than that recorded above, has survived. {Jim adds that’s sad, if Church of Ireland, something might exist in Hdgs Dublin}

the online special genealogical index in www.nifhs.org unless the name comes up in someone else family tree it looks unlikely. But it does show the importance of the Lecale society who might take correspondence

In the R Blackwood’s ‘Family history manuscript tree collection’ in the LinenHall Library, Belfast should be the following volumes that contain a Montgomery tree.
Volume 3p142 Ballydrain, vol 4p20, vol 7p15 Newpark, 7p23 Convoy, vol 9p63 Moore & Doran, vol 14p187, vol 20, vol 29N, vol 43, vol 44p2, vol 46Transferred, volume 65 Allen, volume 90 Ballylesson I think all these Co down names appear in Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in LinenHall library, Belfast.
I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see website for contact details
Online Property sales  by sheer luck I found on google today Ballyvester House it looks old enough to be a listed building, the sale notice is on
www.propertynews.com/Property/Donaghadee/TRBTRB64781/84-Ballyvester-Road.  Listed buildings come under NI Government Environment I think
I wonder if this was his house, why then did he get buried at Bangor
Have run out of time
Good hunting Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Is there any indication that W. John Montgomery actually lived in Ballyvester House? Original post says "part of which he farmed, at Ballyvester."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MontyBelfast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to reply. I had already checked all the street directories without success, including Lennon Wylie.  I joined the Ards branch of the NIFHS to see what they had and again drew a blank although I was able to add to their North Down database.

I am a member of Linen Hall Library and will check Blackwood.  I don't think I know about this.

I was aware of Ballyvester house and it is interseting to see it is for sale. Quite a bargain! W John Montgomery had 7 sons and no daughters. The second youngest son Robert has a lot of information written about him as he a Presbyterian minister, missionary in India and Moderator.  The Book "Couriers of the Dawn" states that he was born in Ballyvester House in 1811 and brought up with the reformed Presbyterian Church in Newtownards. He was enrolled at INST in 1834 and his fathers name is given as W John Montgomery.  His religion was given as Eastern Reformed converted to General Assembly.  So his father was probably a covananter.  This branch is different from the existing Reformed Church in Newtownards. I have talked to Trevor McCavery about this. It was the Ann Street congregation which no longer exists.

His father in law, Rev John McAuley of first Donaghadee, is given as living in Ballyvester House in 1861, possibly after he had retired. He married secondly the daughter of the minister of Ann Street congregation in Newtownards.

I can find no Montgomery living in Ballyvester House, only Catherwoods.

Offline macaulay-nickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi - Noticed your post about W John Montgomery. Unfortunately, I can't help you any further with your research but I am a direct descendant of Rev John Macaulay's who lived at Ballyvester House and have been researching our family for a couple of years now. I have much interest in Robert Montgomery who married Mary Macaulay and their descendants or relations. From Rev John Macaulay's will, I'm aware there was a son, Robert Montgomery Jr (who received a watch :)) but cannot determine what happened to him. Do you know of this family? I would love to get in touch with any living relatives.

Offline MontyBelfast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for making contact.  Rev Robert Montgomery, husband of Mary MacAuley was my great great great uncle.  I have a lot of information about him.  For example he was a missionary to India for most of his working life.  He had only one son, Robert who died when he was about 16 years old, but had several daughters the youngest of which died as an infant in India. 

I would interested in contacting you directly by e-mail as I have much information which you may be interested to see.  He wrote a journal while in India and I am just completing its transcription. I several pamphlets written about him and a photo of his gravestone in Belfast.

Regards