Author Topic: Captain Thomas Arthur Tresidder, Royal Scots  (Read 10863 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Thomas Arthur Tresidder, Royal Scots
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 23:43 BST (UK) »
In the Canadian records at Ancestry there is a database called "Canada, Militia and Defence Forces Lists, 1832, 1863-1939". I've found some entries for T.A. Tresidder who was attached to the 3rd Regiment Victoria Rifles of Canada which were headquartered in Montreal. The date next to his name is 13 Feb 1907. It appears he became part of the Corps Reserves on 9 Feb 1909.

T.A. Tresidder's name keeps appearing in the Corps Reserves for the Regiment for a few years after the death of Thomas. Perhaps you might have an idea why that would happen assuming this is the correct person.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

They had a daughter who was married in Toronto in 1938.  The notice is in the Toronto Star - Oct 8th 1938 edition, page 24.  There is a photo of her too.   I don't know if she is still living, so I will just use initials.  Her name is K L Tressidder (spelled with a double s and a double d) and her husband's name is C. Ayearst of Haileybury (in Ontario).   The wedding was to be at the home of the bride's grandparents - Mr. and Mrs Ernest M. Lake of South Drive Toronto.  The wedding date was Oct 15th.  The bride's parents are Mrs. Tressidder and the late T. Arthur Tressidder of The Royal Scots. 

As the last name Ayearst is not particularly common, you might find a living relative??  There are only 15 people with that last name in Canada.

http://www.canada411.ca/

RK   

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 01:39 BST (UK) »
Widow Bessie (indexed Bennie) Kathleen Tresidder crossed the border to the USA at Buffalo N Y travelling to New York City for an indef stay 28 Jan 1928 (I think). Last permanent residence 95 South Drive Toronto; Canadian contact her mother Bessie Lake (remarried 1911) of the same address.

Bessie must have come back to Canada.  Mr Ernest Merrick Lake died at his home, 95 South Drive, on Dec. 23, 1939.   The obit is in the Toronto Star on Dec 26 1939, page 02.  His step daughter, Mrs T. A. Tresidder of Ottawa, is mentioned.   

RK

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 10:47 BST (UK) »
This probably explains his commission as Captain.

I can only speculate that there was so much going on during the war that the reserve lists were just not updated.

Alistair

Offline Graymoser

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 July 13 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

by searching on web for information on a chest i buy at auction  (in Québec close to Montréal) one big black metal box signe on top CAPT T.A TRESIDDER. THE ROYAL SCOTS. I probably found the WW1 chest of your ancester! If you can give me more information i will be happy to know more because it seem to be very interesting. I can show you picture if you want?

Graymoser

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 July 13 03:21 BST (UK) »
Some of his records seem to be with the National Archives in England.

I was under the impression that the WW I records destroyed by enemy bombing were only of NCO's and men who served.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/C1075194?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/21277

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 July 13 07:56 BST (UK) »
Some of his records seem to be with the National Archives in England.

I was under the impression that the WW I records destroyed by enemy bombing were only of NCO's and men who served.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/C1075194?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/21277

It's not clear what this record consists of. It may only be his Medal Card. I have asked for the details but I have already seen his Medal Card on Ancestry. It does not really help as it only has his wife's address on it.

Offline geology

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you would still get this message as it is now 2015, but all the information I have been able to find on Thomas Arthur Tresidder is on Ancestry.ca under the Family Tree called "Tresidder Family: Cornwall to Quebec". Please check it out. Why he would join the Royal Scots is pure speculation; however, his father, John Bothwell Tresidder, was a very active member of the Masons and I expect there was a strong link with friends and family to both England and Scotland.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you would still get this message as it is now 2015, but all the information I have been able to find on Thomas Arthur Tresidder is on Ancestry.ca under the Family Tree called "Tresidder Family: Cornwall to Quebec". Please check it out. Why he would join the Royal Scots is pure speculation; however, his father, John Bothwell Tresidder, was a very active member of the Masons and I expect there was a strong link with friends and family to both England and Scotland.

Thanks. It would be helpful if you could send the URL.