Author Topic: Thomas Moss  (Read 9013 times)

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Moss
« on: Thursday 10 May 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Thomas Moss b. 1810 yorkshire, he was convicted of sheep stealing Aug 1832 his trade was a boatman, at east riding Court and was given life, he was sent to Australia on the "Asia 10" and arrived Australia in 1833 to Sydney.
On his death certificate it states  his father was called (Thomas a brickmaker,) he died 1867 Melbourne Australia. I cannot get back any further in East Yorkshire, can any one help please in looking at the transcript of his case in East Yorkshire Assizes? It might give some clue to where he came from.

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moss
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 12 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this is your Thomas.

There is an entry in the Index of prisoners brought to trial at York Assizes - ID: 5104, Moss Thomas, aged 21, Date 27 Aug 1832.

This info is held at York reference library, I understand you can get more info from them:

> http://www.eborfamilyhistory.co.uk/york-city-archives-and-york-reference-library-merge/

Hope this is of some help.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
This could also be him on the Familysearch.org site.....

Thomas Mctuske Moss christened 13th April 1811 at Eastrington, East Yorkshire, parents were Thomas and Mary Moss

The date on horse000's reply would also make him born in 1811 as well so could this be him?

This could be the above's parents and marriage...
There is also the marriage of a Thomas Moss to Mary Mcturk on 24th March 1796 at Eastringham, East Yorkshire. Thomas born in 1777 to mother Elizabeth Moss but no father shown. Mary born 1780 to father James Mcturk

I wonder if there are a few transcription errors as Mctuske spelt wrong if using family name Mcturk? Also wonder if
Eastrington is just a few miles north east of Howden ......not too far from me as well!
Eastringham could well be Eastrington as there is no such place as Eastringham and this has cropped up before.....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,50145.0/prev_next,prev.html
http://www.uk-surnames.com/places.php?county=Yorkshire&place=Eastringham#h_ff_1=&n=FPN&m=API&s=

I hope this helps......

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Affraid can't help with locating parents other then could the Thomas Moss born ~1811 Eastrington be the one on the 1841 census residing in the Howden Union workhouse? - cannot locate him on the 1851 census to confirm either way.

However this could be 'the crime'  as reported in the Hull Packet and Humber Mercury on 4/9/1832 under York Summer Assizes.

Thomas Winter and Thomas Moss charged with having stolen a ewe sheep, the property of Mr Joseph Howard, of Hull, butcher, on the 20th March last, out of a field in Dog Kennel Lane. Moss was taken to Winters lodgings, where the carcass of the sheep was found. The bead was discovered in a coal heap, and sworn to buy the prosecutor. Guilty, but recommended mercy. The prosecutor also joined in the recommendation as regard Moss - His lordship said, that he should take care that the recommendation be forwarded to his majesty.

Wonder if the Dog Kennel lane refered to is the A1035 to the East of Beverley.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Ooops, meant west of Beverley - only know this one as regularly travel it, don't know if there are any others.

Have now found what happened to the two of them in the above newspaper article. From the York Herald and General Advertiser on 22/9/1832

The following eighteen .............convicts were removed from the castle on ........... and delivered aboard the ........... ( a few other names listed)....Winter and Thomas Moss for life ..... (other names listed)

The gaps are the bits I can't read due to the way they are digitised - articles taken from the British libraries newspaper collections.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Was interested in this post as a few weeks ago I helped someone else on
here who was interested in the Moss family born in Easington.
I have looked for your Thomas and I think the parents Thomas and Mary
which have already been mentioned are your Thomas's parents.
The lady I was looking for and found, was called Ann Moss with parents
Thomas and Mary.  She was born in 1803.
She married a Scottish surgeon who came to live around that area and
when she married William Dickson in 1824 they moved to Elvington which
is about 12 miles away and they had their family there and I presume he
was the Doctor of the village?
If you wish to look at Honors post its called William Dickson, Elvington, Yorkshire
One thing that struck me was when I found William and Anns children two of
them were  called  Thomas and Mary, also one called James had the middle name
of McLaughlin which again is a Scottish/Irish name like McTurk is.
You never know Honor might be a distant cousin of yours.
Hope it goes well

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
We all certainly have achieved a lot in one day on this case!

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 12 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi to you all,
thank you very much for all the information you have sent, it looks very much like the convict that I found is the same one you have found in Eastrington, the information in the news paper was very good as the Thomas Moss who stole the sheep is the same one that came out here to Australia on the "Asia 10" in 1833.
His death certificate only gives his father  THOMAS MOSS As a BRICKMAKER, no mothers name and only Yorkshire, so I think you have cracked it for me, well done to you all, many thanks I do appreciate all that you have done.
Trish Oldham
NSW Australia