Author Topic: My Gower ancestors of Penboyr.  (Read 11304 times)

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Gower ancestors of Penboyr.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather on the other side of my family ( mother's side not father's) is also named Gower. My gt gt grandfather Edward was born in LLangyfelach in 1794 but I only have that info from various censuses which he filled in. Try as I might I cannot find his parents. Years ago someone suggested James Gower and Ann Tamplin who lived in Llangyfelach but they didn't have a son named Edward. Llangyfelach is quite  near to Swansea. Whenever I put Edward Gower in to any search sites I always came up with the Edward Gower of St Ishmaels, who is also in my father's family. I suppose he could have changed his name for some reason. Also I have seen an old post on a Rootsweb site which suggests that Arthur Gower my gt gt grandfather on my father's side, had been a "naughty boy" and had had a few illegitimate children. So that could be something to pursue. Also my Edward Gower moved to Briton Ferry late in his life after having lived most of his adult life in Trevethin Mon and Tondu Glamorgan. Apparently there were other Gowers living there too. I think the ancestors of Raymond Gower who used to be an MP. Briton Ferry is also quite near to Swansea. Brian also mentioned that David Gower of cricketing fame came from Pembrokeshire. They may have moved about in pursuit of work. Sorry can't be more helpful.
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 January 17 00:50 GMT (UK) »
the gower family are notorious for this sort of thing, so much so they hsve det up a fund for illigitimate chilf=dren in case anyone wants to claim against the estate, the most notorious gower bein levisongower having made opportunistic marriages to wealthy women throughout the uk, the most famous of which was patrick bowes-lyons sister and the countess of sutherlan rom whom he gained the title of duke of sutherland
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline sian353

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 January 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to say that I have finally found the marriage record between Rachel Eynon born 1845 (daughter of David Eynon and Anne Gower) and David Thomas (my 2 x great grandparents) and therefore can confirm my link to the Eynon family. They married on 23rd Dec 1867 in Llangynwyd, Glamorganshire. By the 1971 census they were back in Carmarthenshire and living in Llanelli.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 January 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sian

It looks as if we are related. Rachel would have been my grandmother Ellen Eynon's aunt and my gt gt aunt. Interesting that Rachel and David were married in Llangynywd because that is where my mother's family were from and in 1908 Ellen, who was married to David Davies, moved to Nantyffyllon which is in the Parish of Llangynwyd.

Mary
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 February 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »
also have a look at staffordshire don't know if they are the same branch but they are the ones whi give rise to my levison-gower family, might find a connection between those in wales and those in stafford 1700 i  remember rightly, maybe someone inherited something up country?
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet