Author Topic: Isabella Mackay Census records 1861 & 1871  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Mackay Census records 1861 & 1871
« on: Tuesday 15 May 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Isabella Mackay was born in Kingussie around 1829 and I have discovered her on the 1841 census aged 12 living with her father Duncan Mackay and brothers Andrew and William at Strone near Newtonmore.  In 1851 she is living in her half sister's household with Donald Cattanach as the head(82) , Ann wife (60) Alex Cattanach son (22) and Isabella Mackay sister-in-law (21) employed as a House Servant.  I have her on the 1881 census living at Catlodge and at 45 is recorded as Housekeeper.  She is married to Donald McKillop at this point.  I completely lose her in the 1861 and 1871 census records though and wonder if anyone can help me to shed light on where she might be?  I imagine (always a dangerous thing!) that she did not move far and would have been in the employment of another family in the area as a domestic servant or similar.  I have been told that it will therefore be difficult to locate her as I don't know the family names to research. Has anyone got any advice please as to how I may track her down? She would be approx 32 in 1861 and 42 in 1871 and still single at this point.
Macdonalds / Mackay around Kingussie / Newtonmore /Laggan area.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Mackay Census records 1861 & 1871
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

If she is shown as aged 45 in 1881 - that gives a birthyear of 1836 (ish) - not 1829

1881 indexed as McKellop but only Isabella shown on transcription.  What year did she marry Donald McKillop?

Did she marry as a spinster or as a widow?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole.  Many thanks for your reply.  Yes, I know the dates are out, but I have found that this varies on all her records (as you have I'm sure?). Isabella was definitely born in 1829 and the 1841 census supports this as she is aged 12 then.  In 1846 she had an illegitimate child George Macdonald, my great grandfather and the centre of my extensive research. On the way, I have discovered much about Isabella.  In 1851 at the age of 22 she is without George (who is living near Nethybridge with Isabella's aunt) and she is employed as a House Servant with her half sister Ann Cattanach. It is after that I lose her until I discover her marriage to Donald McKillop on 6th July 1880 and she is on the 1881 census. She is a spinster at this point and recorded as aged 43.  50 is nearer the mark I think but she is illiterate as records show she signs with an "X" as her mark. I guess it was easy to forget or not know how old you were in those days? She died at Croft Laggan on Aug 5th 1890 age recorded as 64 (I think she was 61). My other query on the site regarding her last resting place is a puzzle to me as I do not know where she was buried. I have discovered her family grave at Banchor Cemetery where her father, mother and brother & his family are buried and I wondered if she might be with them.  When she married Donald he was 70 and a widower having lost his first wife in 1876, so I wondered if she might be buried with her in the same plot which might be Laggan? My guess is that this was a marriage of convenience in as much as he needed a housekeeper and she needed a home - quite a common occurrence I would think? People's lives......... isn't it all so interesting?  Thank you very much for your interest. If you can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey  :)

Hope you are well !

If Isabella continued to be vague on her birth year, this 1861 census entry might fit for her:

James Smith 60, farmer b. Dumfries
Wm Mccall Smith 26
Janet Walker Smith 17
Margaret Mccall Smith 9
Samuel Mccall Smith 6
Dugald Mcarthur 31
Alxander Mclauchlen 16
Isabella Mckay 25, Kitchen-maid, b Laggan
Margaret Cameron 19

Address: Tulloch, Lochaber/Kilmonivaig

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica.  How lovely to hear from you again.  :) Yes, I am on the trail once more!  I have discovered so much due to you and Robert and now I would like to fill in the gaps regarding Isabella, George's mother.  This is a strong possibility I think.  As you say, she probably would not have known her year of birth so she could have been registered incorrectly. Thank you once more.
As I have discovered the last resting place of her son (George) and his family and her father Duncan and his family & managed to pay my respects by visiting their graves I thought it would be fitting to find Isabella's last resting place too (hence my other query on the site). No luck yet, but I live in hope!
By the way - I was really pleased yesterday when I was able to respond to a query myself and hopefully help someone else - a bit of 'pay back' for all the help I have received on this site.
Best wishes........   Audrey.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline JohnMck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 12 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Donald McKillop, is on my family tree.
I have a very large list dating from 1771 till the present.
Isabella is also listed.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi is this her therefore in 1871:-

Donald McKillop 70 occ Tailor b Laggan
Isabella 50 Wife b Glen Urquhart
Alpan Son 17 b Laggan
John 11 Son b Laggan
Residing at Wester Crathie, Laggan
Census Ref RG10/104/3/3

In 1861 they have 2 extra sons Duncan b 1852 and Alex b 1856 both Laggan, Isabella is now aged 40, born Glenmoriston Census Ref RG09/104/0/1

Looking at the baptisms for John and Alexander in Laggan, Isabella is shown as a Fraser?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 June 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both JohnMck and Keyboard 86 for your entries and for your interest.
'My' Isabella was a spinster (m.s. Mackay) until her marriage to Donald McKillop on 6th July 1880 when her age was recorded as 43.  Records show she was born in 1829 so I think she was nearer 50. She died in Croft, Laggan in 1890 age recorded as 64 which is also four years out. Either way at 43 - 50 she would be too old to have further children? George her first born and my gt. grandfather was illegitimate and born in 1846 when she was about 16 or 17. She was born at Newtonmore and was always recorded on census records as b. Kingussie so I don't think she is the one you have found (Keyboard86). I think Monica's entry about the 1861 census is her as her circumstances fit the picture. She is aged 25 which is also a bit 'out' but a kitchen maid which rings true.  She had no 'Fraser' lineage, but Mackays and Campbell.

It's always exciting to read another entry so thank you very much for your help.
Grant around Abernethy