Author Topic: Lafferty and Sinnott families? Possibly Oylegate  (Read 8724 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lafferty and Sinnott families? Possibly Oylegate
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Dont know much about NY records, but it's definitely worth trying to gather as much information on Edward and Mary as you can from US records. The more clues you have the better ...  even if these dont give you the direct evidence of location you need, they can help fill in extra details of your family story.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bostonjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Sinnott Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions and help, Shane.
Jan
Ireland: Edward Sinnott (1849-59 approx)and Mary Lafferty (1850-1860 appr) ancestors;
Hanna, Toleman, Broughton in England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
A see some birth records on FamilySearch for the family in Manhatten.. also in the same area a marriage for Nicholas in 1905 to an Isabella Cahill. Might help narrow down the search area for deaths for Edward and/or Mary.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bostonjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 01:43 BST (UK) »
I'm happy to report that I've found Edward Sinnott's death record as posted in the NY Times. I am sure it is him because of the address given being the same on the 1900 census with Mary widowed.  He died at age 40 on January 23, 1897 at his home of 445 West 32nd Street in NY, NY (Manhattan).   So that part of the mystery is solved and I may now be able to go to the State of NY and request his death certificate. 

It is confusing all the different ages given on different census years, etc. This would put his birth in Ireland as 1857.  Other records have him as both 1849 and 1850.

I've spent a good hour looking for Mary's death announcement but nothing yet.  Thank you for looking online records for me, Shane. Truly appreciated!
Jan
Ireland: Edward Sinnott (1849-59 approx)and Mary Lafferty (1850-1860 appr) ancestors;

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 08:35 BST (UK) »
I saw Mary's surname listed as Laverty in some of the US records I looked at.

Both Lafferty and Laverty were  quite rare in the south east, but far more common in northern counties - e.g. Donegal, Tyrone, L/Derry and Antrim.

I wonder if Mary and Edward came from different parts of Ireland and met and married in NY ?

I wouldn't worry about slight discrepancies in age, it's quite common on census returns, death certs etc..

I spotted some Sinnott records on the ItalianGen website, that might be worth checking out - it has an Index for various NYC records, including Manhattan.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline bostonjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Shane, so do you believe that the "Laverty" records are one in the same for Mary Lafferty?  Very interesting - - I'll have to start searching for that surname to see what comes up.  Thanks for that clue.

I will also check out the ItalianGen site which - at quick glance - looks very interesting.

Thank you SO very much for the help and hints!
Best,
Jan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
... so do you believe that the "Laverty" records are one in the same for Mary Lafferty?  Very interesting - - I'll have to start searching for that surname to see what comes up.  Thanks for that clue.

I think it's very likely the same family - Dont think there would be that many Sinnott families in New York at that time..  Even if it's not the correct family, Laverty and Lafferty would just be variations in spelling of the same name - along with MacLafferty, O'Laverty etc, so I'd consider all when searching.

That spelling appears on the 1905 marriage in Manhattan of a Nicholas Sinnott. Parents names are given as Edward Sinnott and Mary Laverty.

You can check out the details on FamilySearch : Sinnott/Cahill marriage

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
I'm happy to report that I've found Edward Sinnott's death record as posted in the NY Times. I am sure it is him because of the address given being the same on the 1900 census with Mary widowed.  He died at age 40 on January 23, 1897 at his home of 445 West 32nd Street in NY, NY (Manhattan).   So that part of the mystery is solved and I may now be able to go to the State of NY and request his death certificate. 

well done - hopefully the death cert will give new details, such as the names of his parents etc  I dont know if place of birth or father's occupation is included on these certs...

Since there are very few Co. Wexford parish records online at the moment the information on his parents may not narrow down the correct baptism at this stage - but hopefully as more records are added something will show up and you will be able to check the parents names to see if any records fit your Edward. (all assuming of course that Edward was from somewhere in Co. Wexford)

Another possible search you can try when you establish the name of Edward's father, would be Griffith's valuation. It's a land taxation survey carried out a little after Edward's birth, but Edward's father might show up if he held property and was still alive at the time...  Griffith's doesn't give any family details but can help narrow down possible matches.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline bostonjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the help, Shane. I have heard of the Griffith's Evaluation but had no idea what it was.  I was able to find more Laffertys listed than Sinnotts, but - as you said - without a concrete lead to where they were from (even a definitive county) it is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack!  I remain undaunted, though, and continue the search.  Thank you for all your suggestions - I'm following up on each as time allows.
Best,
Jan