Author Topic: Pomarium, Perth  (Read 13418 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Pomarium, Perth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Have never seen a photograph of Pomarium but the attached etching might be of interest

Hi Dixons,

Do you have a date for the etching please?

It's a beauty & so like a photo...very good indeed!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 August 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
I've just found this old photo online.
(My Gt x 4 Grandfather Alexander Moncrieff lived at 'West Side Pomarium', Perth in 1841)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/fascinating-collection-old-images-perth-9615869

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 August 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Nice photograph.  Thanks.

It looks as if the houses are just about to be demolished, so the photo was taken just in time.  Is there a date?  After the last war, when everything was in short supply, hoardings made of doors were not uncommon.

By the way, here is an odd thought.  We are assuming that Pomarium means that the area had once been an orchard, but is there any evidence?  If the word was originally Pomerium instead, then it may have meant 'outside the city walls', or maybe it denoted an area of land belonging to one of the religious orders, like the Pomerium of Rome.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 August 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
There was an orchard there Lots of apples and pears early sixties. I believe what was left of the orchard that once belonged to the monks that built king James hospital. The orchard is just out of shot on the left hand side it was where the shops and Chinese restaurant are
Looking at that photo again that road is still there it runs behind the bus station and there are multi storey flats on the right and I think the photo is taken from the road that comes down between the Queens hotel and the bus station.
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 August 18 03:44 BST (UK) »
I've just found this old photo online.
(My Gt x 4 Grandfather Alexander Moncrieff lived at 'West Side Pomarium', Perth in 1841)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/fascinating-collection-old-images-perth-9615869

What a lovely pic! I can't fathom why those buildings were demolished as the brickwork etc. is beautiful unlike the site of the now Pomarium Flats which are an eyesore in every aspect!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 August 18 12:07 BST (UK) »

It looks as if the houses are just about to be demolished, so the photo was taken just in time.  Is there a date?  After the last war, when everything was in short supply, hoardings made of doors were not uncommon.

By the way, here is an odd thought.  We are assuming that Pomarium means that the area had once been an orchard, but is there any evidence?  If the word was originally Pomerium instead, then it may have meant 'outside the city walls', or maybe it denoted an area of land belonging to one of the religious orders, like the Pomerium of Rome.

What a lovely pic! I can't fathom why those buildings were demolished as the brickwork etc. is beautiful unlike the site of the now Pomarium Flats which are an eyesore in every aspect!

Annie

Hi
There was an orchard there Lots of apples and pears early sixties. I believe what was left of the orchard that once belonged to the monks that built king James hospital. The orchard is just out of shot on the left hand side it was where the shops and Chinese restaurant are
Looking at that photo again that road is still there it runs behind the bus station and there are multi storey flats on the right and I think the photo is taken from the road that comes down between the Queens hotel and the bus station.
Yours Aye
BruceL

Throth. I Found this info below online about the new blocks of flats, built by Wimpey and 'approved for construction in 1958'. So guessing the date of the old photo would have been the 1950's

Annie. Yes love those old large stone blocks and the stone edge windows in the old photo

Bruce. Yes, an old orchard used by monks it says here too

https://canmore.org.uk/collection/692154
...The Pomarium Street development was approved for construction in 1958. It comprises one eleven-storeyed tower block and one eight-storeyed slab block. They were built by Wimpey Construction using 'No-fines' concrete (made without fine sand or gravel). This shows the two blocks of flats together. They are built of similar components, but in different compositions. Both blocks have the same balcony designs, and patterns achieved by rows of windows. The lower block has an open utility area beneath it. The name Pomarium Street derives from the ancient use of this area as an orchard or pomarium growing fruits for the use of the monks of the nearby Carthusian Monastery. This was destroyed after the Reformation (1559), but the name survives to this day.

Offline Davidhutchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 January 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I have photos from 1930 and 1955 but this site wont allow decent size files. If you send me your email address ill send them on to you. Thanks

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 January 21 12:14 GMT (UK) »
David,

You are allowed to add images upto 900kb, our members have no problem with this you just re-size them.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davidhutchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 January 21 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi ive just tried and had the message from your site saying 500K is a maximum.