Author Topic: Andrew(s) Family  (Read 3135 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew(s) Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 12 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I thought there might have been a (?re)marriage for Ann Cadger after the birth of James. Found this family, summarised here www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cheyne/p6535.htm Busy man this Alexander Shirran, this Ann Cadger was his second or third wife...and went on to marry one more time  ::)

With this Ann Cadger having died pre 1851, hard to say. She is aged 30 in 1841 which is always so unreliable  :-\

More notes from other people's research here http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ABERDEEN/2003-12/1071194196 and http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ABERDEEN/2003-10/1067179569 (a number of people have their eye as parents James CADGER of Skelmuir, Old Deer and Margaret WALKER   ;D)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
In the first post you said that James died aged 45. As no year was given I assumed that it was 1829 + 45 = 1874!
I bet there were many Ann Cadgers but not every one will appear on the I.G.I. :(
I'll keep on searching.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 12 15:40 BST (UK) »
flst - sorry to have lead you astray - all these 'c' dates drive you nuts, don't they! (and no doubt a few fibs or don't knows here and there).

Monica - I'll check out the links - thank you for finding them!

Anne  :)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
Quick update ....

After looking at the Cheyne Family site - it lists Alexander Shirran as marrying Ann Cadger on 4th July 1835.

The only spanner in the works there is that she's not listed as re-married or deceased on son James' DC in 1870.

The informant of James (Senior's) death was his son James (age 19'ish) who might never have known his grandmother and if it was a case she had remarried - maybe the details were never discussed? He may not have known whether she was alive or dead let alone Mrs something else!

Anne

Offline craigalexanderjordan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 March 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Did you ever find a Birth Certificate for James Andrew? He was my 3rd Great-Grandfather.

Thanks

Craig Jordan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 March 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever find a Birth Certificate for James Andrew? He was my 3rd Great-Grandfather.
Craig, there isn't going to be a birth certificate to find. James Andrew was born in 1829 or thereabouts, which is long before birth certificates were introduced in 1855. As no baptism record appears to have survived, the chances are that there is no document marking his arrival in this world.

Fortunately Scottish death certificates tell you the names of the deceased's parents, including the mother's maiden surname, so in this case the death certificate is the best bit of evidence you are going to get for his parentage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.