Author Topic: Culverden Golf Club Tunbridge Wells  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Culverden Golf Club Tunbridge Wells
« on: Sunday 27 May 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Im looking for any information about the history of this golf club. I know where it is and that it was formed in 1896 and ended sometime in the 1950's when the golf course was redeveloped (at least in part) by the Rose Hill School.Also would like scans of  any photographs of the clubhouse/course etc. I have club secretaries as H.P.Chrisian Hare 1903; James Frederick Dixon 1913; Alexander Dixon 1918; James Frederick Dixon 1922 to 1934 and Walter Adans 1938. I think I have what I need for secretaries Hare and James Dixon but dont have any info for the others.

any help appreciated!!

Offline relbuet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Culverden Golf Club Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi I went to school at Rose Hill which presently occupies about half of the first 9 hole course. In the 1970s there were still bunkers dotted around the grounds. Even today there are a few man made ridges still visible. The original clubhouse was still there. It was simply a large wooden shed at the top of the hill at the entrance. It was used by Mr Ashdown the groundsman to keep tools in and teach us carpentry. It has since gone. Over the years I have collected several cups and irons related to the club. The cups are dated 1909 bogey competition and 1927 knock out competition. Both named culverden golf club. One iron I have belonged to B James club pro, the other to a Mr Humphrey. James t.

Offline bagiboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 March 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Im looking for any information about the history of this golf club. I know where it is and that it was formed in 1896 and ended sometime in the 1950's when the golf course was redeveloped (at least in part) by the Rose Hill School.Also would like scans of  any photographs of the clubhouse/course etc. I have club secretaries as H.P.Chrisian Hare 1903; James Frederick Dixon 1913; Alexander Dixon 1918; James Frederick Dixon 1922 to 1934 and Walter Adans 1938. I think I have what I need for secretaries Hare and James Dixon but dont have any info for the others.

any help appreciated!!

Only just joined RootsChat but noticed your post.

I have a free website that called Golf's Missing Links. It records the history of Golf Clubs and Courses that no longer exist.
If you go to "Course Finder" on the home page and enter Culverden Golf Club in "Please Choose" you will see the history of the club.
Go to www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 15 14:33 GMT (UK) »

The other obvious approach is to contact the Tunbridge Wells Museum and Art Gallery - contact details here: http://www.tunbridgewellsmuseum.org/ 
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 15 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input. I now have all I need on this topic.