Author Topic: Gransha asylum  (Read 16774 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gransha asylum
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
You will likely need to look at the marriage registration to get the fathers' names and occupations- either by ordering the certificate or viewing the microfilm of the church records. Both PRONI and Coleraine Library have microfilmed copy of Macosquin Presbyterian Church registers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandal,
             Information comes from a subscription site which I belong to. Unfortunately it does not list fathers' names.
        2 Jan 1862, David McCandless married Catherine STEEDMAN in Coleraine First Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 June 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
        2 Jan 1862, David McCandless married Catherine STEEDMAN in Coleraine First Presbyterian Church.
First Coleraine Presbyterian Church, 2 July 1862, David McCandless, full age, bachelor, postman, Coleraine, son of Samuel McCandless, letter carrier, to Catherine Stockman?, Coleraine.

Some additional notes-
William McCandless married 21 July 1870 Ballylaggan Reformed Presbyterian Church to Sarah McCandless.

Coleraine Chronicle, 10 Apr.1915, page 7 column 4- obituary for Mr. Robert McCandless gives lots of family details such as part of early life spent in Londonderry City & about 37 years ago returned to native town, survived by wife 2 sons and 9 daughters (details listed), 2 brothers (Coleraine) died within last 12 months, only surviving brother William McCandless of Ballymena formerly Ballymoney, brother-in-law James Doherty of Belfast. Nephews Abrahm H. Brewster, Woodburn Brewster,  William McCandless, T.B. McCandless, JA Gregg (Belfast), John Mairs, James Henry.

Offline caavaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 June 12 04:20 BST (UK) »
The Hugh McC you have listed is not my Hugh McC. Hugh's mother died in 1846. David McC born 1840, William born 1844. All Samuel's children born in Co. Antrim but I dont know where.
Re my g.g.gfathers marriage, I have a record (if it is my g.g.gfather) of a church marriage on the 18.5.1830 (would fit the time frame-Samuel born 1805) and a Anne Smith at the Holy Trinity Church of Ireland Banbridge, in the Seapatrick parish in Co. Down. This info comes from rootsireland.
How would I go about finding out more about the occupier in Brook Street, Coleraine at the time of my g.g.gfathers death on the 1.3.1874 where a Hugh is listed as the occupier?

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 July 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi. I emailed PRONI with my great grandfather's death date as he died at Gransha. They got permission to release a transcription of his admission reason etc. It only took a few weeks. You need to provide them with as much information as you can, to make it easier for them. They have to get permisson from one of the health depts to release the information if it is sensitive. Hope this helps.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline banntrout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 November 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
My wife's great grandmother was Mary Anne McCandless who married William Tosh from Co. Antrim . The only information that I have about her is that she was from Macosquin, does anyone know if this is the same person?
same person as who ??? don't think a Mary Ann has been mentioned previously in this thread. The only Mary Anne McCandless I see in Macosquin Presbyterian Church baptisms was born 1869, daughter of Thomas McCandless & Sarah Brewster (the register, however, in incomplete in 1850s).
The church baptism records are wrong Mary ann and William are my grandparents,mary ann's mother was mary ann henry from ballyvenox her father was thomas and her grandfather was george from learden,her father thomas was married twice firstly to mary ann henry to whom he had 4 children my grandmother being the eldest then after his first wife died he married sarah jane brewster to whom he had 4 more children.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 21 November 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Macosquin Presbyterian Church records show 6 children baptised to Thomas McCandless and Sarah Brewster not 4- however, the 3 baptised in 1875 and an earlier Elizabeth (born 1868) are the children of Thomas by his first wife Mary Anne Henry (married 1866). Thomas married (1875) Sarah Jane Brewster and had Elizabeth, Margaret, Thomas and a John (c1891).

3 in 1875- Mary Anne (born 1869), Mathew (born 1871), Sarah Jane (1873)
1876- Elizabeth (born 1876)
1878- Margaret (born 1878)
1880- Thomas (born 1880)

Offline banntrout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 November 15 10:16 GMT (UK) »
yes all your information is correct,but as you say the church records give sarah brewster as the mother of thomas's children from his first marriage who were baptised a week before thomas and sarah were married which greatly threw me off track when i was seeking info for my family tree

Offline banntrout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 November 15 11:00 GMT (UK) »
sorry there's one error in you're search you have stated that mary ann mcc was born in 1869 she was actually born 5th july 1866 2 month's after thomas's and mary ann henry's civil wedding. I cant  understand why the church records show 1869, and her and her 2 siblings were baptised the day before his second marriage to sarah jane brewster.Could it be to hide the fact that mary ann was born just before the wedding of her parents in a registry office