Author Topic: Steel(e) Annan and/or Dornock, Dumfrieshire  (Read 3000 times)

Offline skasd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Steel(e) Annan and/or Dornock, Dumfrieshire
« on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
My GGG Grandfather William Graham Steele is my brick wall. I have found his death record in Lowtherton (Dornock) for October 1883 which states he was 74 at death making his birth around 1809. His death certificate states father David Steele and mother Jane Steele nee Steele.
I have found his marriage record to Joan Weild in Annan in 1839 which ties in with his children and what I know of him after this date.....
However I cannot find a record of his birth (census records state Annan), but i have trawled through ancestry, scottishpeople and familysearch to no avail.
I cannot be sure of David and Jane although there is a David Steel marrying Jean Steel in Ecclefechan 1803, a David and Jane in Breconsbed on the 1841 census.
I also do not know of any siblings for William although there seem to be a few Steel(e)'s  in the Dornock area at the same time as William in the 1840's possibly uncles, aunts and cousins?
Can anyone help or tell me where to look next?

Offline skasd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Steel(e) Annan and/or Dornock, Dumfrieshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
I have a picture of a house in Lowtherton/East Riggs/Dornock I believe to be of my ancestors if anyone is able to identify it or know more about it?

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just in case you don't have it - I have a MI for Dornock which gives a different year but the age is the same but it must be him as wife is Weild

In memory of

William Graham STEELE, who died at Lowtherton 26th October 1886 age 74
Also Jane, his daughter, who died at Lowtherton 1st September 1853 age 13
And Janet, his daughter, wife of Augustus BUSH, who died at Derby 9th November 1876 age 35, and is interred in
Nottingham Road Cemetery
Also John, his son, who died at Gallaberry 3rd November 1882 age 31
Also Joan WEILD, his wife, who died at Gallaberry 4th December 1891 age 81
And George, their son, who died at Aylesbury 26th April 1903 age 56

The David and Jane (nee Masterton) Steele in the 1841 census in Breconbeds do have a son William but he dies in 1872 (from MI for David and Jane). We could only find 1 baptism out of 9 children, for David and Jane/Jean, by the way!

Junev

Offline skasd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Junev - I did have the details of the MI for William Graham which has helped me locate all of his children and their families based on their deaths/locations.
Thank you for clarifying the 1841 Breconbeds David and Jane - I kept coming back to them as I haven't had any luck finding another David and Jane that fits. I do know that David was a farmer as it states this on Williams death record. 
Not sure where to look now - wondering if a trip to Dumfrieshire would be a benefit to search through parish records?

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 12 16:59 BST (UK) »
hi,

Annan was a district  that had earlier census details taken, I don't have the full copies but I can see in 1821 at Stirkpool the following (which I believe is not the line in the 1841 Breconbeds census):-

Jane steel age 40
David steel age 10
John steel age 10
Will. age 10
Eliz. age 20
Benoni (fem.) age 5
Rebecca age 5
(ages rounded of course)

1811 may help if someone can look for you; the 1801 census has several David Steels (no ages)

Junev

Offline skasd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Junev for your help.

For anyone else looking I have been given this info with the names David Steel/Jane/Jean Steel from the early census records:

The early census's don't give an awful lot of info.

1801 Census
HILLTON David Steel,Eliza Smith,Jean Steel,John Steel,Mary Steel,David Steel, George Steel. (Ag.4) I assume the Ag means Agriculture.

1811 Census
ALLALEE  Jean Steel,Elizabeth,Robert,John, George, William.  (Ag.)

1821 Census
STIRKPOOL  Jane Steel 40, David Steel 10, John Steel 10, Will 10, Eliz 20, Benoni (fem) 5 Rebecca 5. (I think the ages could be incorrect)