Author Topic: Registration records in SA  (Read 4706 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Registration records in SA
« on: Sunday 22 May 05 02:27 BST (UK) »
A cousin of my father's recently died in SA. She was born in Malaya 1919 and during her life married 3 times but had no children.

Are BDM indexes available for SA and would I be able to purchase a death certificate?

Many thanks

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Registration records in SA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 05 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
We have a very good archive system for death notices but there is about a 20 year restriction - If you give me deatils of where, when how names etc I will see what I can find. The NAAIRS site would give you clues to her divorces if they happened here.
BMD are goverment controlled and very difficult to access!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but there are only ways and means of finding things!
Just let me know what I can do to help.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 05 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

thanks for that tip,  I need to go looking in South Africa when I have a chance;
my uncle's grandfather got married and divorced there in ..... 1905 perhaps ???

I looked up NAAIRS in Google and it is
National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System (NAAIRS)
at  http://www.national.archives.gov.za/naairs.htm

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 05 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
There is a lot of transcription going on at the moment and there are a lot of marriages transcribed around 1900's in Natal but also do a search on the south african british immigrants roorsweb mailing lists as they are posted there - otherwise give me a shout.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 May 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
Its a wonder anyone talks to me on RootsChat - I get so confused about my relatives. When I went to check my SA lady, I had confused her with a cousin who married 3 times. I only have 1 marriage listed for this lady - but it did end in divorce.
Her name was Mamie Elizabeth (known as Su) CALLAN b. 5.Aug.1919 I don't know when/where she married but in 1992 she was in South Africa & in 1995 apparently in Blackheath (Is this a suburb of Joberg - because I had thought that was where she lived). Her married name in 1995 was KLARER. She died last year or early this year. I may be able to get a closer date.

Her parents were Thomas Callan and Fannie Roche.

She had no children.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 May 05 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

thanks for the PM

I don't have a lot to go on, really, so this is more of a sideline quest:

My uncle's grandfather Harry Mörser was living in SA in 1900 when his fiancée, Edith Caldecott, came out to join him. 
He married her "straight off the boat"

Romantic, huh ??

Apparantly not, because the story then goes, that he had deliberately married her in SA as she had very few rights there as a wife, which meant is was easier for him, when he divorced her some years later !! 

They had a daughter, Frances Morser.  Her mother had insisted that Harry Mörser (who originally came from Austria) lose the ö, which then became an o

And that's all I know !

So if you, or anybody else, sees anything "on their travels" to augment that, it would be great !

Thanks,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 May 05 15:45 BST (UK) »

Hi Ruth,

You were kind enough to come up trumps for me two days ago.

Any chance of finding out when this man ARRIVED in SA and when he left : and any more details than the date (which I have) of his marriage ?

SYDNEY REGINALD FULLER SANDYS was listed in the 1901 English Census, but some time after that went to South Africa as I have a postcard/photograph of him on the 'stoop' of his house at Port Shepstone, NATAL, SA dated 1904.  And he married a Miss M. GRIEVES in SA on 22nd December 1906 before emigrating permanently to New Zealand (from SA)  BEFORE September 1907 when his 1st child was born in NZ.   

That is to say, he arrived in SA from England some time between May 1901 and end 1904 : and LEFT SA for New Zealand some time between 22 Dec 1906 and September 1907.

Also, any chance of finding out the Christian name of Miss M.......  Grieves, and any other particulars about the marriage ?

Best wishes,   Percy
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :