Author Topic: colhoun family book by orval calhoon  (Read 1374 times)

Offline my-irish-family

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
colhoun family book by orval calhoon
« on: Wednesday 13 June 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me.  I am researching my colhoun family from ireland, and a lot of them emigrated to canada in the late 1880-1900.  My grandmother was contacted by an orval calhoon who ended up writing 4 volumes of our calhoon, colhoun, colqhoun family, which i think are only available in libraries in canada/usa (possibly) or owned by individuals.  Can anyone provide me with information on these?  I found the index online, so i know which volume and chapter my family ancestors are in, but i have literally no access to the book.

I would appreciate any help, as i would just love to be able to get my hands on the information he wrote about them in the book (volume 2, i think).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Glasgow: ROSS, WRIGHT, MURRAY, FALCONER
Derry: ROSS, ADAIR, COLHOUN, JOHNSTON, THOMPSON, TAIT, LOWTHER, HUSTON
Donegal: BROWN, McCLAY, GALLAGHER, MEHAFFEY (McHAFFEY), OGILBY
Tyrone: LITTLE, OGILBY,
Brisbane, Australia: ADAIR
Victoria, Australia: ROSS
Canada: COLHOUN

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: colhoun family book by orval calhoon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
This is likely a family history self published work ...I would contact some of these other Calhouns who have used the book as reference... http://fam.eastmill.com/f322.htm   http://thor.genserv.com/sub/look-gen/mb5a/note_51.htm  Or better yet, order a copy when they reprint  http://genforum.genealogy.com/calhoun/messages/2574.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Library Archives Canada, Toronto Library both have copies.  Toronto holds theirs in the reference section so wouldn't be eligible for interlibrary loan.  One website stated that the Church of the Latter Day Saints had a full set of this publication. 

Google Books has the 4th volume digitized online.  The son of Orval sells individual volumes from his website (he's located in Grimsby Ontario) for $110.00.

Have you tried asking your local libary if they could locate a copy and bring it in for you.  They might come back with the answer that all copies they find are located in reference sections and not lendable but it's worth a try.

Debbie

Offline my-irish-family

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried with a few libraries, even the national library of scotland (as i am in edinburgh) and they were unsuccessful unfortunately.

The books are indeed self published works, and i seen from the link they were talking about a reprint back in 2003, but i cannot find anything more on this.  Unfortunately i cannot afford $110 to buy the book.

Thank you for the advice guys, i will keep trying.
Glasgow: ROSS, WRIGHT, MURRAY, FALCONER
Derry: ROSS, ADAIR, COLHOUN, JOHNSTON, THOMPSON, TAIT, LOWTHER, HUSTON
Donegal: BROWN, McCLAY, GALLAGHER, MEHAFFEY (McHAFFEY), OGILBY
Tyrone: LITTLE, OGILBY,
Brisbane, Australia: ADAIR
Victoria, Australia: ROSS
Canada: COLHOUN

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
eek, that a might steep, isn't it? even for a self published publication...Try contacting the Ontario Calhouns from that web site to ask if they'll pop by the library and look up your ancestor's info...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Ccalhoun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 17 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Ocalhoun@blacktv.com

That's Owen calhoun email address. He is orvals son.he has the volumes for sale ( around 100 a piece I think....they're BIG). His father traveled the world putting the pieces back together after censuses in Ireland were destroyed. You can just ask him questions as well. They don't come any nicer. Good luck. He said responsible for us knowing my children's heritage.