Author Topic: Civil registration...what next?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Civil registration...what next?
« on: Tuesday 29 June 04 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have looked on BMD for possible other children of Patrick and Mabel Cassin.  Between 1901 and 1910 there are a whole list of possibles born in the Barton on Irwell Reg District. How do I find out which ones are related? Is the only way to order all the certificates and check each one (GULP....make note to self....must buy more lottery tickets!))
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Civil registration...what next?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 04 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi!

It is hard work, I am in the same boat as you.  As the births on the St. Catherine Index, the mothers maiden name did not start to appear until 1911. Up to 1901 we have the census info which does help.  Problem is the gap between the 1901 and 1911.
Well I worked out a number of choices, either buy certificate, which is going to cost a fortune, as it is finding a needle in a haystack - Check church records for the area (Not too bad if the area is near to where you live - wait for the 1911 census, which will not be released until 2011 (Suppose I could fill in other details in the meantime) but the one I have gone for at the moment, is to see if I can find a living relative, lucky for me the name I am doing at the moment is not a common name, so I was lucky to find people of that name on the Friends reunited site, and bingo this week I have been contacted, and they are willing to help me with info.
Don't know how I will go on, when I come to the other side of my tree SMITH, now that could prove tricky.

Good luck with your tree

Catherine   :)