Author Topic: Hallett Family of Heytesbury  (Read 9028 times)

Offline 11th Hussars Chase

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hallett Family of Heytesbury
« on: Thursday 14 June 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace ancestors related to Richard Hallett of Heytesbury - who had a son Amos Hallett - born in 1829/30 - and a daughter, Caroline, born in 1838/39. Amos Hallett became a private in the 11th Hussars and fought in the Crimean War. After leaving the army, Amos Hallett became a groom and coachman to the Hon. Col. Manners-Monkton - late of the 3rd Hussars (and son of William George Monkton, the 5th Viscount of Galway) - at White Cairns, Wellington College in Crowthorne, Berkshire. In 1872, he married Charlotte Phelps and they had five sons and a daughter. My husband is a descendant of one of Amos' 6 children (Frederick Hallett). We have a lot of information forward of Amos - but know little of his parents, Grandparents etc., other than the father of Richard may have also been named Amos. If anyone can provide any help or any links - it would be truly appreciated.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Hallett Family of Heytesbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,,there is a baptism of a Richard Hallett in Heytesbury...17th January 1781...father Amos   mother Mary.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply - it's truly appreciated. I had also found that probable connection....but cannot find any more information about Richard's likely parents, Amos & Mary..... Am hoping to visit Trowbridge on Saturday for the Wilshire family research open day - and maybe, able to get further back in the gene pool.

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 December 12 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Did you find any further links to Richard? If not, I think I can add a little more to your search. I have found that Richards mothers maiden name was Cooper, his father was also called Amos and his mother was Sarah. Richards father had 4 siblings, 3 sisters and a brother.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help - it is truly appreciated. I am uncertain if this is the Richard I am looking for..... An earlier reply link him to a wife named Mary???? That Richard was Christened in Haytesbury in 1781.....Which fits all the information we have obtainedHe was a carpenter who died in Knook during 1839 ( we have obtained a certificate). In 1871, he travelled to Haytesbury to visit his sister Caroline - the wife of Thomas Neal (both paupers)... We believe it was to inform her of his upcoming marriage to Charlotte. Although a late starter...he and Charlotte produced several children....Alfred, Cecil, Sydney, Gertrude and Frederick (my husband's Grandfather).

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Oooops...it was AMOS (son of Richard) who travelled to Haytesbury to visit Caroline....

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
We do have the same Richard but I was not aware that he died in Knook 1839 so as you have a certificate I will amend my records. I have also found that he married Mary Jacob on 15/5/1808 and I think Mary died in 9/1837 - this is recorded in Wokingham district - I am assuming she moved to be nearer to Amos, but this is not 100% verified yet. I was not aware that Amos had a sister Caroline but I assume you have verified this. I agree that Amos visited Bridge Foot, Heytesbury - 1871 census - but I did not know why, so this fits with your thoughts.  We are obviously related as Sydney was my Grandfather. I know Frederick had 3 daughters, Edna, Heather and Phyllis but that is as far as I have got to date on this line.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello again....it's amazing to discover a relation!!!! We were aware of your Grandfather, Sydney, and that he died in the second Battle of the Somme - 2 nd April1918. Also that his name is on the Role of Honour at Crowthorne St John's Church - and the local school....plus, on the Pozieres Memorial (panel 56 & 57). We are guessing that your mother was possibley Doris...??? Frederick Hallett had four daughters....Phylis (still alive and living in Australia), Ruth - believed to be alive and living in the Malvern area, Edna - who devoted her life to looking after Frederick's wife Lillian - died several years ago, and Heather, who died in 1944, (two weeks after giving birth to a son - Paul - who lives in Florida) - as a result of leukemia. Frederick and Lillian also had sons, Cecil (my husband's father) - also known as Fred - died several years ago, Reginald, (whose daughter Ann lives in Bedfordshire - and is in regular contact) - has also died, so have Peter and Ken. They also lost a son, Eric, to Diptheria when he was four years old. We also managed to find a photograph of AMOS - the 11th Hussar....

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm the details re Sydney. His wife remarried and had a daughter Brenda who is 86 and I am in touch with - she has helped a lot with info. My father was Cecil and my mother was Gladys - not Doris as you thought.
Re Amos - he also had another son, Arthur Amos born 1876 - you did not mention previously.