Author Topic: Dorothy Jinkerson / Walker  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Jinkerson / Walker
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 July 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Peter Walker on 1881 Census suggests birthdate 1860 - when he married the following year at age 23 he may have added a year or two since Florence older than him.

Aside from that, familysearch shows a Peter Walker bp.3/11/1861 St. Peters, Liverpool, son of John and Mary.   I wonder if this could be him.   Can't see any likely death at a young age of this Peter, nor can I can on 71/81 census.   Father John could have died and mother Mary remarried and Peter could appear under her new surname on 1871 census.

Would be interesting to see what fathers occupation is on the 1861 baptism.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 July 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
The 1861 baptism would appear to be the Peter Walker born Dec.1861 West Derby, Lancs. (which also covered Liverpool).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 July 12 21:48 BST (UK) »
Toban

There is nothing to suggest that Peter had family roots in the Lowestoft area -- he was son of a mariner from Liverpool.

Florence's grandmother was Elizabeth Cleveland Rose who married John Sterry Swan - so there could be a connection with the Hunn family there.

When Alfred Hurn (Hunn) Walker died in 1892 his death was recorded at 25 Seago St.  The Walkers did not move to Stevens street until some time before the 1901 census.

Annette

You might just have come up with an explanation - I'd not considered the possibility of Peter giving the incorrect age at his wedding.  I'll check out the birth and baptism records of the 1861 birth -- I'd previously discounted that possibility after calculating his date of birth being 1858/9.

Regards

Alan
Stark, Walker, Britteon, Mummery, Watts, Murrell, Moyes, Stirk, Tullos, Swan, Sterry,  Clark(e), Howe, Starling, Purkis, Stubbings, McWilliam,Stevenson, Strachan, McGregor, Littlejohn, Kirkwood, Orr

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 12 06:14 BST (UK) »
The only 'Hunn' in Seago St at that time is Sarah Love, and even if the two families were close, it's doubtful that the Walkers would've given their son their friend's grandmother's maiden name as the middle name for one of their children. I had a quick look at the Swan & Rose families and couldn't find a connection. What about Florence's father?

T

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 July 12 08:10 BST (UK) »
I can pretty safely say there is no Hunn connection on Florence's (biological or step) father's side.  Florence was born illegitimate -- Swan was her mothers maiden name. 
Stark, Walker, Britteon, Mummery, Watts, Murrell, Moyes, Stirk, Tullos, Swan, Sterry,  Clark(e), Howe, Starling, Purkis, Stubbings, McWilliam,Stevenson, Strachan, McGregor, Littlejohn, Kirkwood, Orr

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 July 12 08:13 BST (UK) »
Florence's step father was John Britteon.  One of Florence's younger half sisters was Elizabeth Rose Britteon and she was a witness at Florence & Peter's wedding.

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 12 08:48 BST (UK) »
Alan,

I've had a look at the Swans and Roses and their ancestry but found no Hunn connections. As a few Hunns were associated with the fishing and sailmaking trade in Lowestoft, so perhaps Peter or Florence was quite close friends with them...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

T