Author Topic: Samuel Curzon of Newark, and his son Matthew  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Granfan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Curzon of Newark, and his son Matthew
« on: Monday 25 June 12 12:57 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was Samuel Curzon who lived in Newark during the latter part of thee 19th century. Samuel was married to Susan Price and they had a son Matthew. Matthew was my grandfather and he died in Brigg, Lincolnshire in February 1952. Can anyone help me fill some of the gaps: I believe that Susan and Samuel divorced sometime around 1902 but know little more than that. Their son Matthew lived for a time at the Sailor Boy Inn in Gainsborough, before marrying Rose Ellen Lowe in Gainsborough in 1902. Matthew and Rose parted sometime in the 1920's and Matthew began a relationship with my grandmother - Emily Major - and they had 3 children together.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Curzon of Newark, and his son Matthew
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome   
Marriage St Mary Magdalene Newark 10 Nov 1856 Samuel Curzon and Susan Price.

baptism same Church
14 May 1862 Elizabeth dau Samuel and Susan Curzon abode Cross Guns Yard Newark Samuel was a Potter.

baptism St Mary Nottingham
17 Nov 1835 Samuel son Matthew Curzon and Ann abode Monk Court father a labourer.

marriage St Leodegarius Basford
21 Sep 1824 Matthew Curzon and Ann Marshall.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Granfan

There is a Samuel Curzon lsited as the other party in a 1902 divorce between Sarah Jane Bartholomew and Thomas Bartholomew (Index no 3139)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/C7996421?descriptiontype=Full

Hugs

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry for my bad manners, welcome to rootschat  :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 12 14:07 BST (UK) »
1881 Census Rotherham ,Water Lane
Samuel KERSON 46 Hawker b Nottingham
Susan wife 40 b Newark
Emily daur 6 scholar b Newark
Matthew son 4 b Newark
Mary A daur 2 months b Rotherham

There is a death in Newark for a Samuel Curzon aged 75 in Jan 1907. And a burial in Newark Cemetery London Road for the following
Samuel Curzon buried 26 Jan 1907
Susan Curzon buried 6 March 1906
It mentions there are 3 other burials in the same plot, a possibility that Sam and Susan are buried together there is also a couple of other Curzon burials in the same cemetery, maybe children?? It is a pay to view site. https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
So Samuel Curzon married Susan Price in 1856 then was involved in a divorce about 1902, is that correct?  If so he must have been in his 60's/70's by then, gosh! ;D

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 12 14:16 BST (UK) »
May not be the same man, Gran would need to send for the papers to be sure....

from Free BMD
Births Sep 1874 Newark 7b/376 Emily Curzon.

Matthew Curzon aged 22 a hawker b Newark is living in the Sailor Boy Inn as a boarder.

Nottingham Guardian Newspaper July 8 1852
Isaiah Shaw and Samuel Curzon 16, to having on the 30th April stolen a copper pan, the property of John Hurst. Shaw pleaded guilty to a previous conviction. Curzon was ordered to be confined to hard labour for one calender month and to be once privatly and severely whipped. Shaw sentenced to five calender months.

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gran

I couldn't find a  Samuel & Susan Curzon divorcing so guessed that the story was muddled and that he was involved in one.  As it looks like they died within a few years of each other and possibly buried in the same plot it sort of fits....  Hope you come up with some answers, it is intriguing.

Hugs

Offline Granfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugatree - the search continues