Author Topic: William Henry Pentland 1870 - 1916  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Alegou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Pentland 1870 - 1916
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 10:03 BST (UK) »
I thought the same about the Whiteside lady but how did she get called Whiteside? Presume she had Joshua and then married a gent. called Whiteside.
Here is the link for the Mauritania information,
http://www.tandrageeonline.com/page.php?id=167&PHPSESSID=8a46dcf0628109445ed8d19016f66d82

It rather confirms the Pentland Aldershot birth.

David

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, if I had looked more carefully at my own records I'd have found the Tandragee Remembers entry. An excellent site and reasonably accurate but the Cheshire Regimental history has more detail: "The 22nd (The Cheshire) Regiment of Foot was in two battalions. The 1st battalion were serving in India in 1851 when they were presented with new colours and returned to England from India in 1855. In 1869 the battalion was moved to India. The second battalion was sent to Malta in 1859; in July 1865 it was sent to Gibraltar, but the same month redirected to the Mauritius, returning to England in July 1867. I claim no expertise in things military but understood the usual practice was for one battalion to be home based while the other served overseas which would mean George was in Parkhurst, the home base in 1851. I have been able to find record of service for the battalion in Mauritius but not in Mauritania but perhaps someone elase has had more luck.

Elizabeth Pentland was enumerated in both 1901 and 1911 censuses as Elizabeth Whiteside with son Joshua Pentland and daughter Olive Whiteside. I have not found a marriage between Elizabeth Pentland and anyone called Whiteside suggesting her second child was, like the first, illegitimate but her father's name was Whiteside.

Offline Alegou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
The British army travelled far and wide but my guess is that they did not make it to Mauritania, perhaps there was a mistake on the Tandragee site and it should really be Mauritius.
I had forgotten about Olive Whiteside, there was a record of an Olive Lewis being married to a John Pentland in 1868, perhaps there is a connection.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 03:50 BST (UK) »
to  aljepeka

I'd be interested in sorting out who Olive Redpath is and whether she is related to the Pentland family mentioned below.

"There is a headstone in Mullavilly church which states that Ann Pentland died 8th July 1876 aged 45, her husband George died at Ballylisk on the 25th March 1893. The headstone also states that their son, W H Pentland died on the 1st July 1916, aged 45. There are another three people listed on the stone, Elizabeth Whiteside died 1940, Samuel Redpath  died 1931 and an Olive Redpath died 1957.  "

Given they are buried together, you'd think there is some relationship.  I found this about their daughter.. Dorcas.  Apparently Samuel and Olive were married.

Private Dorcas Redpath [see image below], Auxiliary Territorial Service, is the daughter of the late Samuel and Olive Redpath, Cochrane’s Hill, Laurelvale.  She enlisted at the same time as Mildred Trueman.  Part of her service was spent in Stirling, Scotland, and after the war she settled in England.

Do you think Olive is the daughter of George and Ann?

Thanks,
Roxanna

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Pentland 1870 - 1916, Joshua
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
to Alegou,

Do you think this is the Joshua Pentland that married Ellen Robb in 1920 at Kilmore?

I have a ship's record with the following information?

SS Andania
sailing from Belfast, May 25th, 1929 arriving at Quebec June 2, 1929
Ellen Pentland 29, housewife, going to husband, Mr. John Pentland at 115 Barrill Street, Oshawa, Ontario, nearest relative in IReland, Mrs. J. Robb at Lisavague, Portadown, has $50 and considered a landed immigrant
Margaret  7
James Walker  4
William  2
Ellen paid for the passages,

Thanks,
Roxanna

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
to Worldlywanderer,

Could it be that Elizabeth Pentland's maiden name is Pentland and that Joshua Pentland was perhaps born out of marriage, and Olive was born after a marriage - the reverse of what you suggested. 

In the census, she is listed as married.

Thanks,
Roxanna

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
to Alegou,

You had posted Elizabeth Whiteside had a brother also born in Malta, Thomas James Pentland, born 1863.

Do you have any record on that, or could you tell me how to find it. 

Thanks much,
Roxanna

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Roxanna,
 I sent you a pm .

Hope you are keeping well.  Been a while from we were last in contact.

Barbara :-)
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown