Author Topic: Michael Tiernan and Sarah Fannon  (Read 13090 times)

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Tiernan and Sarah Fannon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 September 08 08:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the info,if at all possible do you have any idea what age Sarah was when she died ?.But from what you have gave me I can do quite a bit of research on Sarah & her family.Regards Nipy. PS, I agree the Irish always know how to have a great get together

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 September 08 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi ,Sashatee - I just had a look & found Sarah born 1890 do think your Granma was 75yrs old when she died ? Regards Nipy

Offline sashatee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 September 08 11:12 BST (UK) »
yes she was 75 when she died and just checked with my mum and she came from very nearby to Buncrower before her marriage (small village - mum can't remember the name) (so around Creggs/Glinsk/Ballinsloe area I would think) - her son Johnny Tiernan (has two children Michael Tiernan, Marie Tiernan) will be 90 this year and as said before her daughter May (Mai) Devanney and off-spring still around the Roscommon/Galway area..........Sarah Fannon and Michael Tiernans grandson now owns 'Buncrower'

Her next generation as far as I can recollect were....... (not strict birth date order !)

Michael - unmarried, died in Wales.
Johnny - married - 2 children - lives near Glinsk - Tobberoe
Peter - married - sadly passed away in London - 4 children - Michael, Elene ? ?
Kitty (kate) married in America - 8 children I think - ended up in San Diego and children all over California/Australia last I knew.
Sally - married in Birmingham UK - I think 4 children - sadly passed away last year. She was the youngest I think.
James (Jimmy) - sadly passed away in London. - married  - 4 children David, Susan, Michael (think he is in Kilkeerin Eire) and Johnny.
Eugene - married A F Lohan - 4 children - Sarah & Michael 1965, Timothy Noel 1966, Eugene Shaun 1970 - all UK

I think she also had a son Owen who died as a teenager........... as for anymore - I can keep digging................. as I think there were two more children who died very young.

Should imagine all births/baptisims/deaths were recorded in local Catholic parish records - Creggs.

She is buried with her husband in the family plot - name of site/church not sure as yet.......

take care.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 September 08 11:30 BST (UK) »
Ah Cheers that's great,sounds like Sarah born 1890,I can do some research on Sarah from that.A big thank you to both yourself & your Mum,regards Nipy

Offline sashatee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 12:22 BST (UK) »
Notinpastyet :

Confirmd with my mum that Sarah Fannon came from Corlacken.........found it on an old map and near Creggs.

Looked at a census - 1901 - for Kilbegnet  Parish, Corlackan - and a Sarah (born 1890) appears on it aged 11 with siblings - parents John (1864 ?) and Mary (1867 ?) mum thinks its the same one. (I think she is getting tired of me asking questions as she is at this point the only link with family history in Ireland......... I just about rememberd to ask her how she was ! ! ?)

Can't remember where I went (need to keep a note me thinks) - looked up a number of family surnames from the area on lots of websites, this particular record gave head of house/wifes name and childrens ages etc.............I do think it was the 1901 census and it was free.

Can see relevant records from 1749, gap then 1850's so not sure of the links in family (as estimate 3 generations missing!).........mum did say the Tiernan's/Lohans (my parents) etc have been in the area for a long time. So I'm starting there.........Fannon just got me started !

Good excuse to visit my 90 year old uncle who's lived around there all his life and pick his brains!

Take care and happy hunting.

sashatee

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sashatee,you really have got the bug like the rest off us - it is addictive I know,really glad you are finding out as much as you can,your Uncle will be a good source for info,I did notice on the Ellisisland record site there were Fannon's from Creggs,but make sure it's the Roscommon Creggs & not Cregg which is in Co GALWAY, good luck & enjoy Ireland,regards Nipy

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 13:57 BST (UK) »
Just thought i'd let you know, that the Tiernan/Fannon link isn't through me, but through my ex boyfriend. I have passed on the link to him and given him Sarah's e-mail address. I'm not sure how keen he is in genealogy but i'm sure you can e-mail and find out.
ramsay - paisley, brock - glasgow, brackenridge - Scotland, thomson-Scotland, richardson- Scotland, mcclure- Scotland, raeside - Scotland, brown - Scotland, borland - Scotland, mckeller - Scotland, caton - essex, Cross - Navestock/Mount Nessing, moseley- london/staffordshire, mcneil, davies, harper, blake, fitzjohn, steer, kennington, venables - cheshunt, ward, cook, pavey

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
not sure if you are still looking for info on Michael & Sarah but I've found a possible match for their marriage on http://www.irish-roots.ie - in County Galway in 1917

I'll try and figure out the parish if you're interested..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sashatee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 September 08 07:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.......................

That seems the problem - also a Glinsk in Connemara !

I need to get my head around the different names of places/how they connect/spellings(saw a map which had Buncrower down as Brimcrower!) and of course that means history of boundaries as the seem to have changed at least once.

Luckily, I have an aunt in Roscommon - down the road from the records office on Convent Road - so yet another brain (and maybe willing feet) to call on - seems she is a keen searcher too - so hoping she may have done the Lohan side for me already..............

Also remember that although a person may have a name on a birth cert (and is often a family name) they used a different name day to day - my aunt Kitty was Kathleen, my aunt Sally was Sarah ! my brothers use Noel and Shaun - but their given first name is Eugene and Timothy (which are traditional family names)

It is very addictive - and WOW when something seems to fit.................and all the stuff I heard when I was young and not interested comes alive...... famine, forced conversion from Catholisim, landowners treatment, Catholic priests hold on familys lives.............. even arranged marriage in the 1920's, should be a film !

The Tiernan name is difficult as I do remember it being made clear that there were two branches and almost disgust from my dad at the hint there might be a link.................portraying a solid proud heritage seemed his thing...... or maybe a skeleton in the cupboard - now that would be fun.

Need to do lots more digging this end and could be a few trips to Ireland to see records - so need to make them worthwhile trips.