Author Topic: A family tale  (Read 2791 times)

Offline kenny1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • A very young me on Uncles Hot chestnut barrow
    • View Profile
A family tale
« on: Saturday 14 July 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to sort out the facts regarding the following and any information, records newspaper cuttings etc that have any bearing what so ever would be gratefully received. OK The story is:
Well first lets deal with the cast:
Aaron John Wright also possibly known as John Harris or John Wright, born 1875 Maresfield, Sussex
Amelia Lavinia Pankhurst born 26 March 1872 Hartfield, Sussex

now Amelia married William Miles 1890 in East Grinstead and over the next 9 years had several children.
In 1900 Amelia went off with Aaron and set up home as John & Amelia Harris in Reigate, the story is that they ran away when Aaron allegedly attacked a local gamekeeper, hence the need to change his name.
From 1901 to 1911 they moved between Lewes and Tonbridge with Amelia giving birth to Marjorie, Ivy and Nora along the way, this is on the 1911 census.
There are no records that match  these births unless you look at Nora Harris Lewes) and Ivy Harris (Tonbridge)
Nora went on to marry a stable lad/jockey named James Dunn, they also lived in Sussex.
I am not expecting to get chapter and verse on this family but if you happen to have come across anything that you think might be related please pass it on. This started as a professional investigation but is now something more personal.
Harris - London Area
Jackman - Great Yarmouth
Buck - Norfolk
Stone - Norfolk
Tibble - Norfolk
Howlings - Norfolk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A family tale
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 12 06:45 BST (UK) »
You did not give the ages of the 3 children or where they could be found on the census, but would the following also be the birth of Marjorie?
Births in the December quarter of 1902: Harris, Marjorie, born Lewes district, GRO ref 2b 169

Offline kenny1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
Yes you are right this would be Marjorie. Sorry I didn't give all the birth details.
Am vaguely hoping that someone may have a bit of info that fits into the puzzle.
Can anyone tell me where the arcived newspapers are held in Sussex. I looked at the Sussex record office site but it makes no reference to them, not that I saw anyway. Would like to find any reference to the alleged attack by Aaron Wright on a gamekeeper that instigated the flight and name changing.
Something like that must surely have made the local papers, and i assume it happened at Hartfield.

Kenny javascript:replaceText(' ???', document.postmodify.message);
Harris - London Area
Jackman - Great Yarmouth
Buck - Norfolk
Stone - Norfolk
Tibble - Norfolk
Howlings - Norfolk

Offline kenny1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry didn't add the following census ref:

RG number: RG14 Piece: 4069 Reference: RG14PN4069 RG78PN156 RD50 SD1 ED30 SN199 Registration District: Tonbridge Sub District: Tunbridge Wells Enumeration District: 30 Parish: Southborough Address: 26 Taylor Street Southborough
Harris - London Area
Jackman - Great Yarmouth
Buck - Norfolk
Stone - Norfolk
Tibble - Norfolk
Howlings - Norfolk

Offline persalsia

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 March 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you are still interested in this family - Marjorie was my Grandmother