Author Topic: William Harry Trehaeven  (Read 5146 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Harry Trehaeven
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
thanks for that martin , it,s yet another option  ;).
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
Mmmmmm - have scratched around with the Treleaven family, a possibility but I don't think the same family as they are all born in Cornwall.

T.mo's Trehavens children were all born in Revelstoke, Noss Mayo, Devon though I still cannot trace on A....y, even with a wildcard of Tre*

Also there does not appear to be a connection between the South African Trehaeven family and the Trehaven/Treleaven families.

axe calibre
FOULIS, MOFFAT, Scotland, NZ, Canada
SPENCE-THOMAS, Forest of Dean, Wales, England
ADAIR, Dublin
MAGGS, BULL, Bristol, England, Ireland
ALLEN, London, Bristol
GREEN, Shefford, Beds, Somerset
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline robin-tre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 April 15 02:47 BST (UK) »
I apologize for coming late to the discussion, and don't know whether this is a topic you still are interested in. I'm not a genealogist, that role is my mother's, and it is she who would be able to provide the most information. She has done a considerable amount of research into William's background, and as far as I know is able to document much of it appropriately

William Harry Trehaeven is/was my grandfather.

Before I sketch in broad strokes my own understanding of William's story let me say that my mother is unfortunately almost completely computer-illiterate, and does not currently have access to a functioning computer. To complicate matters, she lives in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, and I live in Denver, Colorado. My brother, who lives in Port Elizabeth, has access to e-mail and could serve as a conduit for questions posed to my mother, but most likely my mother would prefer to correspond via snail mail. If you are interested though I would be happy to explore these, and other possible options with you.

My grandfather died in 1965 in Kimberley, South Africa. At the time we, his family, believed he was of Cornish origin, who came to South Africa after the 1st World War. My aunt Julia, William's eldest surviving son, Desmond's wife, had tried to trace information about William and the Trehaeven family on holiday visits to the UK after my grandfather's death, but met with no success.

Then in the mid 1970s my cousin, Robert, Julia and Desmond's son, met a Reverend Ken Terhoeven when the Reverend came to Robert's school to give an address, saw Robert's name on an honors board and asked to speak to him. Reverend Terhoeven told Robert that our grandfather had been born a Terhoeven, and that during the 1st World War had changed his name to Trehaeven, and had cut off all contact with his (Terhoeven) family, even after returning to South Africa. The Terhoeven's, though not large family had deep South African roots, the first Terhoeven having come to South Africa in the last quarter of the 18th century.

As I said my mother has done a lot of research and has proved to her satisfaction that the Reverend Terhoeven's story is correct.

As far as I know the mechanisms by which my grandfather changed his name are not known, and it's more than possible it was not done officially. We don't know if my grandmother knew anything about my grandfather's background, it's possible she too was told and accepted the Cornish origin story, and that she only met and married him after he'd effected the change. My mother's father, James Garfield Richards, was in fact a member of the Cornish exodus to South Africa, and there was never to my knowledge any hint on his side that he doubted William's origin.

I am in regular contact with my mother by phone, though with the time differential I usually limit my calls to weekends. I'd be happy to explore contact options with her, should you wish to contact me.

Regards

Robin

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 April 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Robin

Thank you for your detailed reply.

My interest in the Trehaeven family has been through my cousin Julia who married Desmond.  Julia's mother and my father were Spence-Thomas siblings.  As I live in Devon I too originally believed that the Trehaeven's came from Cornwall and wished to explore their origins.  As you have explained the Terhoeven's are from some of the oldest settlers in SA, presume they originally came from Holland, what a hard life they endured and exciting too.

Presume you are the daughter of William.  Can I help on any of your James Garfield Richards research?

With best wishes

Dee
ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline robin-tre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee,

Actually I'm a boy Robin. My Dad was Bruce, the youngest of 4 brothers, and my sister, Peta Ann, was most probably his greatest delight, since she turned out to be the only girl in my generation of Trehaevens. Julia & Desmond of course had 3  boys, and I have another brother, Brian, named after my uncle Brian who I never met because he was killed in a training accident with the South African Air Force in the 2nd World War.

I'm so glad I mentioned aunt Julia and her family in my reply, given that your research into William was inspired from that direction. She of course did the early ground work into trying to find information about William sufficient to alert us to the fact that there was something distinctly odd about the Trehaeven name.

Thanks for your offer to help re my maternal grandfather, James. Because the William story was the most mysterious, my Mom's research followed this trail as far as she was able. Also to some extent, because it turned out to be a South African story, it might have been a little easier for my Mom to follow. Her father hailed from the St. Buryan area. My Mom is now 82, and though in excellent physical and mental health, is no longer doing any serious genealogical research as far as I know. But I'll ask her if there's anything she needs.

Regards

Robin

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
Wow Robin

Didn't know there was a 4th son, so have updated records with Bruce!

Have found your grandfather and also his Mechanical Engineer records on Ancestry, gives all the info including education, dates and work carried out, until Kimberley records, so interesting.  There were several James Garfield Richards, so pleased that you mentioned he had been born in St Buryan.

Best wishes

Dee

ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England