Author Topic: 144 Squadron 1945  (Read 3542 times)

Offline HollyBlue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
144 Squadron 1945
« on: Friday 27 July 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a past relative who was named Eric Chadwick, Flying Officer 157671, Squadron 144 who died aged 24, on 26th April 1945, returning from a mission in Europe.  His plane was shot down over Norway or the North Sea, no body was recovered.  I don't know anything other than that.  Would just like to know which operation he was on when he died, where he was stationed, what planes he flew, which operations he went on.  Anyone help?

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 144 Squadron 1945
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
He was flying with F/O D A Forrester in Beaufighter Mk.X, serial NV182.

Shot down by fighters at Flekkefjord/Brevigen Bay.

Possibly parts of this aircraft can still be found scattered in local woods but may be from wing man who was also shotdown.

Details for wingman
http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/records/roh_raaf/crews/455/roh_raaf-crews-455-61d.pdf

Regards
Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline sheldonesque

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 12 12:48 BST (UK) »
He would be commemorated on the Runnymede memorial in Surrey which is a really lovely place.  They have a big service every year to commemorate all of the people there.  I have some photos if you would like to pm me and let me know your email address I will send you some.  I have a friend from Australia who took pictures of all the Australian panels there so I may be able to get you a pic of the panel hes on (thinking about it I may have a pic myself....).

You might also want this which I found on the tortuous London Gazette: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36230/supplements/4818 It is his commissioning in Jun 43 to Pilot Officer on probation

There is not a 144 Sqn Assn extant at the moment but you might like to have a look at the following: http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn141-145.htm
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline HollyBlue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone above for the research and information re: F/O Eric Chadwick.  I've now started reading books on Coastal Command from library and also sent off for book on Banff Strike Wing at War.  I'm just hoping to see a photo of him in one of the books!  Thanks again.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Good luck.  I have just realised that Eric was RAF not RAAF so I will have to go next time I go to Runnymede to get his pic...
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor